Anime... a cartoon?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Anime... a cartoon?

Post by Metazoxan on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Valvatorez wrote:
MiniSiets wrote:
MrLincecum wrote:I can't say I agree with her because I feel anime is more story based than a regular cartoon, but I feel she has a valid point.
If we're differentiating it based on story then by that reasoning Desert Punk and Panty & Stocking are not anime.

Well, I know P&S has a central plot of them trying to get back to heaven, dont know about Desert Punk though.
In american cartoons, you dont really see much in the main plot department, mostly in today's cartoons, and quite a few in the past.
The only cartoons at the top of my head that had somewhat of a central plot was the DC & Marvel cartoons, and perhaps a bit of Scooby Doo and whatnot.

Cartoons like CatDog, Hey Arnold, Adventure Time, etc., dont have much of a central plot. Well, to my memory at least.

I think there is a distinct reason for this. There is a major advantage of episodic series to writers. That is that they can do whatever and stop whenever. There are no arcs to worry about or any real story. Thus the series can be stretched out as long as possible. It makes as much money as possible and when it doesn't they can just stop. For example how long as Sponge bob or the Simpsons been going on? They have lasted forever and that is because they didn't have to bother with connecting episodes together. Heck Spongebob doesn't even bother to pay attention to it's own continuity (Peoples houses and lives change regularly to fit the episode's story). And that is all the industry is interested in. They pander mostly to kids and give them episodic shows to fill their poor attention spans. One other advantage to episodic shows is that you can just jump in at any time. There are only maybe a few details here and there you'll be lost on and those you'll figure out by the end of the episode. So you don't have to catch the first episode and follow every episode after to know what the heck is going on. Thus Episodic shows are good for easily drawing in audiences. They won't get turned off by a story that has already progressed too far to follow.

Mostly the only American shows to not follow this are ones based on comics. Like Superman, Batman, Justice League, Etc. These are based (Often rather loosely based) on progressing stories and are less episodic. However even these tend to follow "Monter of the week" formats where each episode has a basic three act structure within itself. Sure there is an over all plot at least but there is still that self contained episode feel.

Avatar is one of the few American cartoons that doesn't follow this format at all and that is due to them mixing a bit of the anime style into the American style. I actually read this somewhere they did actually mix in a little anime style into the series. Avatar is still an american cartoon but it took a few pages from japan's book.

Since most anime is based on manga and other such things I'm guessing that is why they tend to be much more plot driven. Episodic anime do exist but they are fairly rare.

I am the president of the Manga club
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 793
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by MiniSiets on Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:13 am

I thought the distinction Lince was talking about was shallow stories versus deeper stories. If you want to differentiate purely based on "centralized" plots versus episodic plots, there's still quite a few anime you would be jettisoning that wouldn't really make sense to declassify as anime.

MAL Profile | YouTube Channel | Blog
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Noobs on Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:33 am

with that wall of text meta just made, im sure you now get the point.

anime is cartoon. its just like saying jump and hop are different but they are closely related. that is why i made the IQ question type of relating anime and cartoon.

there are anime that are episodic as cartoons with plots.

i can name an anime that have no plot and that is "Kill me baby". its a story of Sonya the assassin going to school with a normal girl Yasuna. the series just went on and on and ended like meh.

i cant give an american cartoon with plot as im not living somewhere in the US and cartoons rarely arrives to where i live. but if you want one, i think invader zim counts as its an episodic series that really has plot but every episode doesnt connect to the previouse episode.

Help Count at "Counting...Endlessly?" thread
My Anime List
Noobs
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 470
The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:59 pm

i think the best animes, DONT have mangas

| Anime-Planet | Youtube | osu! |
sex on the beach:
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 997
Key / Visual Art's Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:54 pm

I wonder what Walt Disney would say...

Mickey Mouse vs Goku. Make it happen people!
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by MrLincecum on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:09 pm

MiniSiets wrote:I thought the distinction Lince was talking about was shallow stories versus deeper stories. If you want to differentiate purely based on "centralized" plots versus episodic plots, there's still quite a few anime you would be jettisoning that wouldn't really make sense to declassify as anime.

I get what you're saying. What I meant when I said "story-based" is the idea that I feel that anime has a special kind of meaning about it, as if it deserves it's own genre. I've not once watched a cartoon that made me cry or laugh as hard as some animes have. Some animes do have episodic plots, but I personally feel that the characters themselves in these animes may very well make up for the lack of story since sometimes you do see more into the characters themselves rather than some cartoon characters which go from one joke to the next or one problem to the next.

It's more of a personal thing really, but I feel some animes are much more mature than others and classifying these into the same categories as a "cartoon" just doesn't seem to fit for me, although I understand the reasons for both sides.

Male Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by crimson on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Here are my reasons why i think Anime is in no way a cartoon.
1)In a cartoon there is no story line or plot and though there are some anime shows out there that don't have a story line at first (like xxxHOLIC ) most of the time they have one at the last few episodes.
2)The design and artwork of the characters. In a cartoon the character has a different look than in anime. Now not all anime shows have the common anime look to them (generally the big adorable eyes) like dragon ball z or avatar the last air bender, But even though they look different you can still tell they are anime shows because they have a continuous story line to them.
3)The last way to tell is that anime shows are made in Japan and cartoons are made in America.
crimson
Academy Student

Male Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Noobs on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:38 am

crimson wrote:Here are my reasons why i think Anime is in no way a cartoon.
1)In a cartoon there is no story line or plot and though there are some anime shows out there that don't have a story line at first (like xxxHOLIC ) most of the time they have one at the last few episodes.
2)The design and artwork of the characters. In a cartoon the character has a different look than in anime. Now not all anime shows have the common anime look to them (generally the big adorable eyes) like dragon ball z or avatar the last air bender, But even though they look different you can still tell they are anime shows because they have a continuous story line to them.
3)The last way to tell is that anime shows are made in Japan and cartoons are made in America.

1. see my previous post.
2. character design? really? then where would you put panty and stockings, Cyborg Kuro-chan, shin-chan or Prince Mackaroo?
3. then how would you name anime from europe, africa, or antartica?

Help Count at "Counting...Endlessly?" thread
My Anime List
Noobs
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 470
The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2