Anyone here work on computers for a living?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone here work on computers for a living?

Post by Kaleb_K on Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:37 am

I work at KFC, and one of my fellow employees runs a computer repair business. He got me and another friend from work to train with him so that he has two techs, because his business is starting to get a lot of work. I was surprised that the few skills I have for computer repair are as profitable as they are. Just this night (saturday), I put a new power ribbon into a HP and a graphics card and and fan into a Dell. the total pay for both jobs was $300 bucks, and it was barely four hours work. He wants to teach both of us how to do complete custom builds, because he can bring in more revenue and we would both be getting between two and four thousand for each job, depending on the specs that these people want. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody here did similar work, and inform any who are looking for jobs, because training programs at schools are fairly inexpensive, and if you have the patience for tedious task, and working with extremely small parts, it's actually a great job. Definitely better than frying chicken for a fast food chain, that pays slave wages.

Male Posts : 86
Cooking Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone here work on computers for a living?

Post by Jemenex on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:56 pm

So this is advice to follow this career path or what? At first I thought you needed help lol. Don't quite get what you want or are trying to say. If your friend is looking for more employees it would be better to post the state and/or city for potential employees

Jemenex
Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Keiichi Morisato on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:58 pm

I dont have a job.
But my career is in IT

working on computers is not hard as people make it out to be.

Its like a puzzle. Pretty simple and hard to screw up actually if you know what youre doing.

Professional Procrastinator

Male Posts : 877
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:39 pm

i enjoy making computers for other people, hell, i would do it for free, given the parts are provided (for people i like) its not my job, though i would love for it to be

| Anime-Planet | Youtube | osu! |
sex on the beach:
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 997
Key / Visual Art's Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Hikikomori on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Keiichi Morisato wrote:I dont have a job.
But my career is in IT

Its like a puzzle. Pretty simple and hard to screw up actually if you know what youre doing.
Keiichi, you're my sempai as I go through Tech school this fall.

Hikikomori
Silver Saint

Designing Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Keiichi Morisato on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:12 am

Hikikomori wrote:
Keiichi Morisato wrote:I dont have a job.
But my career is in IT

Keiichi, you're my sempai as I go through Tech school this fall.

SWEET I HAVE A KOHAI Very Happy

The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaleb_K on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:42 am

I've seen a lot of tech talk on this forum, and just thought that I would post about this. I was curious to see if anyone else was already working full time in the field. I didn't mean to come off as if we were looking for techs, it is still a small company. I've started the training, and Still have to log in about 80 more hours before my friend will start me on custom builds. I never got into computers when I was younger, mostly because I was afraid I would be in over my head. I am surprised to learn that computer repair isn't too much different from auto as far as trouble shooting a problem, and remembering how the components fit together. What has me most concerned is when we start work on programming, because I have an extremely small amount of knowledge as far as that goes.

Cooking Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Keiichi Morisato on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:44 am

Kaleb_K wrote:I've seen a lot of tech talk on this forum, and just thought that I would post about this. I was curious to see if anyone else was already working full time in the field. I didn't mean to come off as if we were looking for techs, it is still a small company. I've started the training, and Still have to log in about 80 more hours before my friend will start me on custom builds. I never got into computers when I was younger, mostly because I was afraid I would be in over my head. I am surprised to learn that computer repair isn't too much different from auto as far as trouble shooting a problem, and remembering how the components fit together. What has me most concerned is when we start work on programming, because I have an extremely small amount of knowledge as far as that goes.

Ugh. Programming. Spor can keep that. I lose my head looking at code for too long.

Back to top Go down

Post by sayWut on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:36 am

ergh programming dat code, as much as can program as of the last year or so ive shifted focuss to database design, which I find just as bad as programming. But thats what a lot of companies want these days so if you can code your more or less set for a while.

What has me most concerned is when we start work on programming, because I have an extremely small amount of knowledge as far as that goes.

If you want some more knowlegde on programming I suggest you read

" Beginning ASP.NET 4.0 in C# 2010 (Expert's Voice in .NET) "

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1430226080/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now it foes go onto databse design, asp coding and all the rest however the first few chapters go into the basics of c# programming explaining the basic concepts and fundamentals of coding. When you learn the basics of that you will have a much more fluent understanding of coding. I got this book and it was a hell of a long read but its a great book.

BiriBiri Manager

Male Posts : 151
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by vashnik on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:57 pm

I can build a computer. I've taken a class for hardware, but most of my experience came from a 25+ year computer veteran. He worked on computers before they became micro computers (the desktops and laptops we see today), when all the programming was done through special punch cards.

Getting a technical job like that almost always requires an A.A.S degree at the very minimum and getting one is extremely expensive, I speak from experience and that was back when tuition was "tolerable". You'd be lucky to find a job that doesn't require a huge money investment into your education.

Back to top Go down

Post by jonnyboy22 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:48 pm

I’m a little familiar with Java and qbasic

Academy Student

Male Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaleb_K on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:13 pm

vashnik wrote:I can build a computer. I've taken a class for hardware, but most of my experience came from a 25+ year computer veteran. He worked on computers before they became micro computers (the desktops and laptops we see today), when all the programming was done through special punch cards.

Getting a technical job like that almost always requires an A.A.S degree at the very minimum and getting one is extremely expensive, I speak from experience and that was back when tuition was "tolerable". You'd be lucky to find a job that doesn't require a huge money investment into your education.

This job requires a lot of on job training. But because I've worked with him on my own computer, and demonstrated that I learn quickly, and have some knowledge already, he is willing to train me as we go. He has a surplus of work after he did a few jobs at a local university, and we now get all the computers for the Pinto frat at our lcoal college, as well as a lot from friends of the frat. I've been working with him for a little over a week, and I've racked up close to $700 on basic repairs, and once my training is complete, and I start just taking the repair tickets instead of working with him to make sure I know what to do, I can make much more. I've had no formal education on computers, and was surprised to find out that it isn't legally needed to do this job.

Cooking Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Keiichi Morisato on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:56 am

Where do I apply ???

This also pisses me off, nothing you did, but bc I have 2 high level IT degrees and cant find work :'(

Back to top Go down

Post by MiniSiets on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:41 am

I worked in this field doing desktop and laptop repairs for 2 years without formal education in it. It's not particularly difficult; you learn a lot fairly quickly as you go. Some of the slightly more in-depth things like soldering work might require some guidance from someone more experienced. If you start your own business it's a pretty good idea, but if you work under a complete stranger like I did you get screwed. I was criminally underpaid for the work I did, but a job was a job and I was only working part-time for some extra cash. Apparently techs like us are a dime a dozen in this economy; I couldn't really bargain with my boss because I could easily be replaced for someone willing to work cheaper. Since your friend started the business you're in a great position though because he will treat you fairly.

I'm curious, do you guys also sell retail parts at the shop? Or is it strictly repairs?

MAL Profile | YouTube Channel | Blog
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by vashnik on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:56 am

Kaleb_K wrote:This job requires a lot of on job training. But because I've worked with him on my own computer, and demonstrated that I learn quickly, and have some knowledge already, he is willing to train me as we go. He has a surplus of work after he did a few jobs at a local university, and we now get all the computers for the Pinto frat at our lcoal college, as well as a lot from friends of the frat. I've been working with him for a little over a week, and I've racked up close to $700 on basic repairs, and once my training is complete, and I start just taking the repair tickets instead of working with him to make sure I know what to do, I can make much more. I've had no formal education on computers, and was surprised to find out that it isn't legally needed to do this job.

I'm not disputing your employment or how the business operates and I never said the education was "legally needed" in order to do the job. Businesses set the requirements for the position; laws aren't telling them they have to set the requirements for candidates to have a degree. If you find one that doesn't require an A.A.S degree or better, good on you. If you can find one that doesn't require a degree AND experience in a related field, good on you. I'm just stating a fact: When someone posts a job opening, you're lucky if you find that it doesn't require a huge monetary investment into your education. It's just how the business world works. I have no such luck. I'm always finding entry level jobs in the IT field requiring an A.A.S degree or better. Even my mentor is having a problem getting work in that field because of his "lack of education."

Keiichi Morisato wrote:This also pisses me off, nothing you did, but bc I have 2 high level IT degrees and cant find work :'(
I was being screwed out of my Bachelor of Science degree in Software Engineering (computer programming, basically), so I know that pissed off feeling. I've seen a few openings in Colorado for IT work, requiring a degree. I can try finding more job postings and forwarding the details of the job and how to apply while I'm looking for a job online if you'd like, that's granted you don't mind moving/working in Colorado. (I use the Colorado Department of Labor & Employment's official Workforce website; at least the listings there are less likely to have scam postings unlike sites like Monster and CareerBuilder).

Back to top Go down

Post by Keiichi Morisato on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:38 am

vashnik wrote:

Keiichi Morisato wrote:This also pisses me off, nothing you did, but bc I have 2 high level IT degrees and cant find work :'(
I was being screwed out of my Bachelor of Science degree in Software Engineering (computer programming, basically), so I know that pissed off feeling. I've seen a few openings in Colorado for IT work, requiring a degree. I can try finding more job postings and forwarding the details of the job and how to apply while I'm looking for a job online if you'd like, that's granted you don't mind moving/working in Colorado. (I use the Colorado Department of Labor & Employment's official Workforce website; at least the listings there are less likely to have scam postings unlike sites like Monster and CareerBuilder).

^ If the company provides relocation assistance, I'll go for it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nim on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:32 am

Fun fact.... I got hired at staples a little while after this forum was buried. And i sold and made recommendations on computers.

Edit: And I was let go because went to a wedding that i Booked off. And because i wouldn't lie to costumers.

Zombie

Male Posts : 161
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top