Best Anime Dub

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best Anime Dub

Post by Colme on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:09 am

Of course there are obligatory mentions such as Cowboy Bebop, and I believe I'm not alone in believing Baccano! has a very good dub.

So tell me, what are the best dubs you've encountered? Bonus points if the anime is older since U.S. Manga Corps era anime generally didn't have "good" dubs in the traditional sense.

Spoiler:
Also feel free to mention any other wonders of dubbing you've seen. Personally I want to mention how Ursula Andress was dubbed over in the first James Bond movie Dr. No. They did an amazing job, and it must be harder to do that for live action film.

_________________
avatar
Colme
Bronze Saint

Posts : 216
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 23
Location : Ottawa
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Anime Dub

Post by Sporadic on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:00 am

Hard for me to say. I enjoy 80s and 90s dubs so my taste in a good dub probably greatly differs from everyone else.

_________________
avatar
Sporadic
Content Director
Content Director

Male Posts : 1174
Join date : 2013-01-17
Age : 29
Location : Fiore
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Anime Dub

Post by Roy Blue on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:23 am

Rurouni Kenshin is most definitely one anime I can honestly say was better off dubbed. I'm sorry, but the main character cannot look cool and have a girl's voice. I think the dubbed voices were pretty good and it went with the characters. It's actually painful to watch the Japanese, and that seldom happens.

_________________
avatar
Roy Blue
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 333
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 24
Location : Jasper, Florida

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Anime Dub

Post by Colme on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:59 am

Sporadic wrote:Hard for me to say. I enjoy 80s and 90s dubs so my taste in a good dub probably greatly differs from everyone else.

Don't worry, you're in good company.

_________________
avatar
Colme
Bronze Saint

Posts : 216
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 23
Location : Ottawa
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Anime Dub

Post by Sir Maddy on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:06 am

Black Lagoon has an amazing dub.

_________________
[MAL/Anime-Planet]



avatar
Sir Maddy
Yuri Lover
Yuri Lover

Female Posts : 1017
Join date : 2013-01-17
Age : 19
Location : Australia
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Anime Dub

Post by Supernatural Knight on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:13 am

Baccano and Black Lagoon are two I definitely agree with whole heartedly, I wouldn't attempt to watch them in Japanese as I already know how the Black Lagoon one is and I really prefer the English voices of Revy and Dutch.

Okay as for personal preferences I'd have to go with Gurren Lagann and Spirited Away.
GL was the anime that got me into anime, now while the sub isn't bad I think it is just because it was the reason I began watching anime in the first place that the sub just doesn't quite cut it for me.
Spirited Away is quite possibly my favourite anime, if not it is definitely my favourite movie, I have seen it more times than I can recall and every time I am still just as amazed by it as the first time I saw it [back before I knew what anime was]. To this day the only parts subbed from it I have seen are what is included as extra features on my DVD, and I honestly prefer the frogs dance and song about No Face in English.

_________________
MAL
"The government has a way of hating people who own things." "The government is a troll. I can sense it."
"Nothing else is as boring to tell as a story of successful love"
avatar
Supernatural Knight
Shinigami

Male Posts : 206
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 24
Location : the future
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Anime Dub

Post by Bato on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:16 am

The first dub i seen was also probably the best dub. Rurouni Kenshin. Kenshins voice just sounds so awesome in the dub.

Yu Yu Hakusho was also a good dub.

_________________


MyAnimeList
avatar
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 852
Join date : 2013-01-29
Age : 26
Location : Holland
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Anime Dub

Post by Ovyda on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:46 am

Colme wrote:Of course there are obligatory mentions such as Cowboy Bebop, and I believe I'm not alone in believing Baccano! has a very good dub.

So tell me, what are the best dubs you've encountered? Bonus points if the anime is older since U.S. Manga Corps era anime generally didn't have "good" dubs in the traditional sense.

Spoiler:
Also feel free to mention any other wonders of dubbing you've seen. Personally I want to mention how Ursula Andress was dubbed over in the first James Bond movie Dr. No. They did an amazing job, and it must be harder to do that for live action film.

I wish you had Baccano nominated instead of Angel Cop...

As for the dubs, I don't watch dubbed, but I did have on my TV Rurouni Kenshin and it was surprisingly good.

_________________

avatar
Ovyda
God of Sport
God of Sport

Male Posts : 1052
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 24
Location : Lithuania/UK
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Anime Dub

Post by Bato on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Roy Blue wrote:Rurouni Kenshin is most definitely one anime I can honestly say was better off dubbed. I'm sorry, but the main character cannot look cool and have a girl's voice. I think the dubbed voices were pretty good and it went with the characters. It's actually painful to watch the Japanese, and that seldom happens.

I did watch the OVA's in sub. Those were good.

_________________


MyAnimeList
avatar
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 852
Join date : 2013-01-29
Age : 26
Location : Holland
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Anime Dub

Post by Shogun13 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:18 pm

Colme wrote:
Sporadic wrote:Hard for me to say. I enjoy 80s and 90s dubs so my taste in a good dub probably greatly differs from everyone else.

Don't worry, you're in good company.
I was about to say.....
I can't seem to think of one at the moment that has not been mentioned. I find a lot to be middling, not better not worse.

_________________
avatar
Shogun13
Philosopher's Stone
Philosopher's Stone

Male Posts : 174
Join date : 2013-01-17
Age : 27
Location : Emory

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Anime Dub

Post by Colme on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:43 pm

Shogun13 wrote:I was about to say.....

On the topic of older anime. Future Boy Conan (1978) has an pretty good English dub. It's just notoriously hard to find since it was dubbed for an English market in Asia before companies like Central Park Media started bringing anime to the west.

_________________
avatar
Colme
Bronze Saint

Posts : 216
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 23
Location : Ottawa
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Anime Dub

Post by Doomguy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:05 am

This might be cheating since there were only really two characters central to the show.

Spice and Wolf. Holo is full of awesome and Lawrence is the perfect counterpart. I can listen to these two talk all day and be amused. The extremely witty banter, the flirtation, the obvious sexual tension, and the true love they share is a wonder to watch and listen to.
avatar
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 28
Location : High security asylum room in JD
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Anime Dub

Post by MrLincecum on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:09 am

Kodocha Dubbed > Kodocha Subbed

Reason: Jerry Jewell and Laura Bailey

That's the only argument I need. Dubbed Kodocha was flat out awesome! I'm not just saying that 'cause it's my favorite anime of all time, it really is a great dub.

_________________
avatar
MrLincecum
Gillian

Male Posts : 76
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 21
Location : Long Island, NY

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Anime Dub

Post by Colme on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:30 pm

Doomguy wrote:This might be cheating since there were only really two characters central to the show.

Spice and Wolf. Holo is full of awesome and Lawrence is the perfect counterpart. I can listen to these two talk all day and be amused. The extremely witty banter, the flirtation, the obvious sexual tension, and the true love they share is a wonder to watch and listen to.

That makes sense when you think about it. It's easier to find two excellent voice actors than a full cast of them.

_________________
avatar
Colme
Bronze Saint

Posts : 216
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 23
Location : Ottawa
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Anime Dub

Post by plantkingman on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:43 pm

Rurouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, and Robotech are good dubbed to me.
avatar
plantkingman
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 165
Join date : 2013-01-30
Age : 34
Location : Orange Park, FL

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Anime Dub

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum