Anime's you just didn't like or couldn't get into?

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Anime's you just didn't like or couldn't get into?

Post by Sporadic on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:08 am

Tsuyushi wrote:Some people may condem me for this but..
DBZ
Naruto
Fairy Tail

ALL over rated to me.

Content Director

Male Posts : 1174
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by BlurredExistence on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:28 am

DBZ
Naruto
Fairy Tail

ALL over rated to me.

I'd agree with Naruto but DBZ?! I haven't seen Fairy Tail so can't comment on that one.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
The Greatest Anime Music Playlist!... or it will be someday.
BlurredExistence
Silver Saint

Male Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:44 pm

DBZ
Naruto
Fairy Tail

ALL over rated to me.

Or in other words, you just dont like big shounens

MyAnimeList
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 852
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:15 pm

DBZ
Naruto
Fairy Tail

ALL over rated to me.

Well of course they are. Shonen attracts a rabbid fan base that praise the hell out of their favorite. But just because something is over rated doesn't mean it isn't still good. It just isn't as good as the obsessed fan boys will try to tell you.

I am the president of the Manga club
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Post by Colme on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:34 pm

Bato wrote:Or in other words, you just dont like big shounens

They didn't say anything about Bleach or One Piece. And honestly I wouldn't say any of those shows are more than just good.

The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Colme wrote:

They didn't say anything about Bleach or One Piece. And honestly I wouldn't say any of those shows are more than just good.

For a shounen fan they are awesome.

MyAnimeList
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:06 pm

Bato wrote:
Colme wrote:

But if you judge them based purely on righting quality you can't really say any shonen is anything better than "Good". or at least I can't think of any shonen that one can truly say is (8 to 10)/10.

Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlurredExistence on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:19 pm

Metazoxan wrote:
Bato wrote:
Colme wrote:

But if you judge them based purely on righting quality you can't really say any shonen is anything better than "Good". or at least I can't think of any shonen that one can truly say is (8 to 10)/10.

They are the animes that actively seek to appeal most to the lowest common denominator so reckon that's a fair statement.

Mind you having said that you do get Shoujo animes that follow the same standard formulas to ensure their appeal to the female market.

BlurredExistence
Silver Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:36 pm

BlurredExistence wrote:
Metazoxan wrote:
Bato wrote:
Colme wrote:

They are the animes that actively seek to appeal most to the lowest common denominator so reckon that's a fair statement.

Mind you having said that you do get Shoujo animes that follow the same standard formulas to ensure their appeal to the female market.

Yeah a lot of anime don't try to be the best. That is because trying to do so makes for poor profit. What makes more profit is to aim for a specific group or denominator and appeal to them. Each group has a general formula to follow for and that comes with certain limitations in terms of what the show can or can't normally do. Some series try to break the mold but most just conform to the standard that proved to work.

Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuyushi on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Metazoxan wrote:
DBZ
Naruto
Fairy Tail

ALL over rated to me.

Well of course they are. Shonen attracts a rabbid fan base that praise the hell out of their favorite. But just because something is over rated doesn't mean it isn't still good. It just isn't as good as the obsessed fan boys will try to tell you.
Yeah.
I don't think they're BAD
I just see how much some people like those shows and go.. Why? They're just... idk.

My Anime List ^_^ ----> http://myanimelist.net/profile/TsuyuChan
Tsuyushi
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 175
The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Metazoxan wrote:
Bato wrote:
Colme wrote:

That's all preference, you can't say they aren't either.

Content Director

Male Posts : 1174
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:42 pm

Sporadic wrote:
Metazoxan wrote:
Bato wrote:
Colme wrote:

Exactly. I'd give One Piece and Naruto a 10 easily. Fairy Tail, Bleach and D. Gray-Man also easily above the 8. It depends on what a person likes. If alot of people say its amazing that doesnt mean you will like it. But if you think its just good, that doesnt mean it is just good for evryone. Pretty obvious actually.

Theres lots of animes most of you think are amazing, which i couldnt even watch 5 min of before dropping it.

MyAnimeList
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovyda on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:51 pm

Some say Evangelion is good, while I say worse than Higurashi.

Ovyda
God of Sport
God of Sport

Male Posts : 1052
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by MrYoSo901 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:13 pm

Bato wrote:
Theres lots of animes most of you think are amazing, which i couldnt even watch 5 min of before dropping it.

that's pretty harsh lol. I've only done that when skimming through various hent4i series XD

Usually I sit it down and watch atleast 3-5 episodes before i drop it, and only pick it back up if a friend says it gets better on the later episodes.
MrYoSo901
Shinigami

The Anime Cafe Designing Club The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by BlurredExistence on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:24 pm

Bato wrote:
Sporadic wrote:
Metazoxan wrote:
Bato wrote:
Colme wrote:

Exactly. I'd give One Piece and Naruto a 10 easily. Fairy Tail, Bleach and D. Gray-Man also easily above the 8. It depends on what a person likes. If alot of people say its amazing that doesnt mean you will like it. But if you think its just good, that doesnt mean it is just good for evryone. Pretty obvious actually.

While that's all very true on an individual basis, one's tastes are after all just that, that's not true in much wider and more general terms. You can say for a fact that certain animes are of quality over others by weighing up their technical values to establish quality. So while you're perfectly within your rights to say that you like Naruto and would personally rate it as a ten you've gotta admit that it's not that in terms of writing, characters, artwork, sound, etc. it's pretty average.

BlurredExistence
Silver Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuyushi on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:28 pm

BlurredExistence wrote:
Bato wrote:
Sporadic wrote:
Metazoxan wrote:
Bato wrote:
Colme wrote:

While that's all very true on an individual basis, one's tastes are after all just that, that's not true in much wider and more general terms. You can say for a fact that certain animes are of quality over others by weighing up their technical values to establish quality. So while you're perfectly within your rights to say that you like Naruto and would personally rate it as a ten you've gotta admit that it's not that in terms of writing, characters, artwork, sound, etc. it's pretty average.

^^^ x10

My Anime List ^_^ ----> http://myanimelist.net/profile/TsuyuChan
Tsuyushi
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 175
The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:18 pm

BlurredExistence wrote:
Bato wrote:
Sporadic wrote:
Metazoxan wrote:
Bato wrote:
Colme wrote:

I think i misunderstood you. You arent saying Naruto has average writing, characters, artwork and sound right?

MrYoSo901 wrote:
Bato wrote:

that's pretty harsh lol. I've only done that when skimming through various hent4i series XD

Usually I sit it down and watch atleast 3-5 episodes before i drop it, and only pick it back up if a friend says it gets better on the later episodes.

I have alot to catch up to so i have no problem with dropping something i dont like.

MyAnimeList
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by BlurredExistence on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:52 pm

Bato wrote:I think i misunderstood you. You arent saying Naruto has average writing, characters, artwork and sound right?

Well i would make any specific claims about it such as that but i'm say on the lvl of quality Naruto (and animes like it) are pretty average, yes. You couldn't compare it to say NGE and say it's on the same lvl in depths of psychology and character development. You couldn't compare it to Code Geass and say it's story is as well written. And you couldn't compare it to Clannad and say that it's able to explore emotions as well.

While you may well think that Naruto is better than all three of those animes in your personal opinion what you can't claim is that on a technical lvl, such as the way they've been created as well as the lvl of quality in the writing, artistry and production values, that is stands up anywhere near them.

I know i'm not making this clear enough so i'll try giving a personal example: I don't like School Days, it's an extremely uncomfortable watch and i despise the main character so much that i seriously almost broke my TV once when i kicked it as a result of something he did. However i rated it rather highly on my MAL list because despite hating it i was able appreciate that i wasn't supposed to enjoy it and could very well see that it was incredibly well written and the production values were of high quality. I'll never watch it again but i am glad that i did watch it once. Naruto, being average, would never inspire such a feeling/thought process within me. It can only be liked by those whom like it, it cannot be appreciated for more than it is.

(Ugh, sometimes the English language totally fails me. I have so much i want to put across and it all tumbles out of me in an overly complex fashion. So i appologise for that.)

BlurredExistence
Silver Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:11 pm

BlurredExistence wrote:
Bato wrote:I think i misunderstood you. You arent saying Naruto has average writing, characters, artwork and sound right?

Well i would make any specific claims about it such as that but i'm say on the lvl of quality Naruto (and animes like it) are pretty average, yes. You couldn't compare it to say NGE and say it's on the same lvl in depths of psychology and character development. You couldn't compare it to Code Geass and say it's story is as well written. And you couldn't compare it to Clannad and say that it's able to explore emotions as well.

While you may well think that Naruto is better than all three of those animes in your personal opinion what you can't claim is that on a technical lvl, such as the way they've been created as well as the lvl of quality in the writing, artistry and production values, that is stands up anywhere near them.

I know i'm not making this clear enough so i'll try giving a personal example: I don't like School Days, it's an extremely uncomfortable watch and i despise the main character so much that i seriously almost broke my TV once when i kicked it as a result of something he did. However i rated it rather highly on my MAL list because despite hating it i was able appreciate that i wasn't supposed to enjoy it and could very well see that it was incredibly well written and the production values were of high quality. I'll never watch it again but i am glad that i did watch it once. Naruto, being average, would never inspire such a feeling/thought process within me. It can only be liked by those whom like it, it cannot be appreciated for more than it is.

(Ugh, sometimes the English language totally fails me. I have so much i want to put across and it all tumbles out of me in an overly complex fashion. So i appologise for that.)

Maybe not for you. Maybe school days is your kind of genre even though you didnt like the MC and other things. When i watch Naruto it flies by. The characters are interesting, not only the good guys, but also the bad guys. The art is alright. You wont say wow thats amazing, but its also not bad. The writer is a genius. If you say hes not then you either arent a shounen fan like me or you havent seen as much as me. The emotions are amazing. The emotion expressions on the characters and the feelings it gives you when something happens. Many people will agree on this with me. The sound fits an anime like Naruto perfectly, therefore the sound is also great. So i dont know what your talking about when you say its average. Its not school days like, because they are making it to fit a shounen, which they did perfectly.

Although i dont rank Naruto as the best of the big 3. One Piece is the best imo. If i could i would give this one a 20 out of 10.

For me it also plays a big role in how long an anime can run and stay interesting at the same time. I rather see a huge anime that i can enjoy for a long time than a 12 ep anime that ends after 12 weeks.

MyAnimeList
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by BlurredExistence on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:27 pm

You seemed to have missed my point again and saying that if i don't think the same about the writing (or this anime as a whole for that matter) makes me not a Shounen fan is completely wrong, and by no measure is it "genius".

Still i don't want to get into an argument about this cause it would be absolutely pointless, you have your opinion (which you're entitled to and i respect you for) and i can't seem to make my point clearly enough (and that also is just my opinion and arguing over two opinions is a rather retarded thing to do). Might as well leave it at "we agree to disagree" or something before we completely take over this thread. Sounds reasonable?

BlurredExistence
Silver Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:45 pm

Sure. Evryone has their own opinion.

MyAnimeList
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by MrYoSo901 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:21 pm

BlurredExistence wrote:

where the hell is the like button?!

yeah kinda agree with you there. Naruto, Bleach, FT and other similar series is just average if you compare them to a more polished anime. Maybe because the animators have a deadline to reach every week because of the demand so they lower the quality of the animation. For the writing, it depends solely on the author and mangaka, they also have some schedules to keep and the farther the series is dragged out the more the author is exhausted to come up with new ideas that would inspire the readers. Take noblesse for example, it started out great, but when the demand kicked in the quality of drawing suffered (less details on the backgrounds and the characters) and the previous arc was just a loop of another arc, they just introduced new characters but the formula used every arc is still there. The same also happened in FT and Bleach. Every arc the main characters always gets beat up first but in the end they gain some kind of power-up or beat the hell out of the enemy using nakama powah. If you look at the character development in Fairy tail most of the main cast haven't change at all. If you compare the natsu now and the natsu from episode one there has been so little change in his character, but if you look at Light Yagami from death note you can easily tell how his character was developed throughout the series. From seeking to enforce justice from the shadows to becoming a tyrant and setting himself as the God of the new world, the people around him also changed, i mean just look at what happened to his entire family.

Bato wrote:
The writer is a genius.
The story is alright, but i wouldn't go as far as classify it as "genius" as there have been a lot of stories written that surpasses naruto.

Bato wrote:
If you say hes not then you either arent a shounen fan like me or you havent seen as much as me.
I think i've read and watched my fair share of shounen manga's and anime. Flame of recca, Ghost fighter, Fairy Tail, Naruto, Bleach,One piece, Soul Eater, Hunter X hunter, Samurai X, Pokemon, Shaman King, DBZ, KHR and some more I can't remember. But still can't say that they're the "best" on my list.

Bato wrote:
For me it also plays a big role in how long an anime can run and stay interesting at the same time. I rather see a huge anime that i can enjoy for a long time than a 12 ep anime that ends after 12 weeks.

I mostly watch them as fillers when i have nothing else to watch, the sheer number of episodes is just perfect for that purpose. I'd appreciate anime movies and OVA's more compared to those, just comparing the quality of animation is more than enough of a reason for me to watch it over some long running and rushed shounen anime. I'd choose quality over quantity when it comes to my anime. I mean watching 50+ episodes of the same anime with a bunch of fillers and looping arcs is pretty boring as hell.

MrYoSo901
Shinigami

The Anime Cafe Designing Club The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by BlurredExistence on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:43 pm

MrYoSo901 wrote:where the hell is the like button?!

Lol I've been finding myself thinking that from time to time on this site, glad one of my posts made someone think the same. = )

I ain't gonna comment on the whole thing any further as i said i wouldn't other to reply to something else you said in your post:

MrYoSo901 wrote:I think i've read and watched my fair share of shounen manga's and anime. Flame of recca, Ghost fighter, Fairy Tail, Naruto, Bleach,One piece, Soul Eater, Hunter X hunter, Samurai X, Pokemon, Shaman King, DBZ, KHR and some more I can't remember. But still can't say that they're the "best" on my list.

Accel World, Burst Angel, Claymore, Durarara!!, Eureka Seven. These are not all the Shounen on my list (i going thru it i skipped a few and then gave up once i hit E) but each of these Shounen i can say with certainty are high quality. They may not be everybody's cup of tea but like i've said in earlier posts that's a matter of taste. What you can tell, and should respect, is the work that went into them, either showing great beauty, fascinating characters, brilliantly written stories. Each one shows up those more popular series' like Naurto or One Piece, imo (but then being much shorter means that there's a greater focus and more work could be put into each and every part of these animes so quality is high and maintained thruout). And these are just 5, i could have gone on for much much longer, i doubt it even made up 1/10th of the quality Shounens i have on my list let alone the ones that are out there which i've yet to watch.

BTW: We've totally gotten off subject here.

BlurredExistence
Silver Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 pm

MrYoSo901 wrote:I think i've read and watched my fair share of shounen manga's and anime. Flame of recca, Ghost fighter, Fairy Tail, Naruto, Bleach,One piece, Soul Eater, Hunter X hunter, Samurai X, Pokemon, Shaman King, DBZ, KHR and some more I can't remember. But still can't say that they're the "best" on my list.

Excactly.

MrYoSo901 wrote:I mean watching 50+ episodes of the same anime with a bunch of fillers and looping arcs is pretty boring as hell.

This also is excactly why we've been saying it depends on your own taste. I rather watch a huge anime that has fillers cuz i wanna get to know characters completely. I can look passed details as fillers or dragging eps. I have all the time in the world anyway. Not planning on dying or anything xD

MrYoSo901 wrote:The story is alright, but i wouldn't go as far as classify it as "genius" as there have been a lot of stories written that surpasses naruto.

Once again, your opinion and my opinion. Imo this guy is a genius when you consider Naruto is a shounen. You cant compare this to Death Note for multiple reasons, and to be fair, Death Note author is probably the biggest genius in anime history.

I pretty much only watch anime for the shounens. One Piece, Naruto, Fairy Tail, D. Gray-Man, Toriko, Dragon Ball, etc etc etc. Thats why my MAL list isnt big, thats why i dont understand many anime terms anime watchers use, thats why my opinion in anime is totally different than probably 97% on this site. Its also why my opinion on a genius author and yours differens big time. I have seen plenty shounen animes, and One Piece and Naruto are by far the best of the genre.

@Blurred, your saying you rate Accel World as high as One Piece and Naruto? Im sorry but i laughed at that.

MyAnimeList
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by BlurredExistence on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 pm

Bato wrote:@Blurred, your saying you rate Accel World as high as One Piece and Naruto? Im sorry but i laughed at that.

That's fair enough. I kinda saw that one as rather controversial myself and had a second thought about adding it to the list but it's an beautiful and incredibly visually interesting anime and i reckon it's artwork stands up way One Piece.

BTW: Man i really respect how you're going all out to defend those shows, it shows how very committed you are to the animes you like. Such a thing's to be respected a lot.

BlurredExistence
Silver Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top