Anime's you just didn't like or couldn't get into?

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Anime's you just didn't like or couldn't get into?

Post by Bato on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:59 pm

And your the only one who thinks so Very Happy

MyAnimeList
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 852
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by MacMeaties on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:11 pm

I'm not the only one just definitely in the minority.

Male Posts : 130
The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:13 pm

MacMeaties wrote:I'm not the only one just definitely in the minority.

Well it is certainly over hyped that much is true. Not everyone may dislike it as much as you do but the thing is Death Note because part of the main stream, it is well known, and has a massive fan base. Sadly it is a fact that every anime, bar none, that has those three things is far over hyped. Sure it may be popular but that doesn't mean it is good (Look no further than Justin Beiber for the perfect example) and even if it is good that doesn't mean it is as good as all the hype seems to say.

The best advice I can give to anyone thinking about watching an over hyped series like Death Note is don't go in expecting anything. If you expect it to live up to the hype you will just be disappointing and won't be able to enjoy an anime you might have otherwise. Sure it may not blow you away but it might still be pretty good. You can listen to other people's opinions but keep in mind that people can exaggerate and if someone says a show is "The best thing ever" that tells you immediately that they are exaggerating and you shouldn't let what they say raise your expectations to much. No show is the best thing ever because everyone has different tastes. A really good show for some person could just be so so for another.

Then again maybe the over hyped show will be just your thing and you will be blown away. But it is better to expect nothing and get a lot than to expect a lot and get nothing.

I am the president of the Manga club
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Post by Colme on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Metazoxan wrote:I wanted more development, more crisis, something more to happen but all I got was something that felt like filler. I think I didn't technicaly drop it but I just kinda stopped watching half way through the season. I kept telling myself I'd watch the next episode to see if it ever got better but I never did.

Exactly. That is precisely why I don't watch much slice of life or "romance" anime, all to often I find that nothing happens. It's a shame too because I just read this fantastic novel called Medicine River, which is essentially a slice of life narrative, it has interesting stories to tell about life in a small town without any major action or crisis, but I can rarely find an anime with such good characterization and slice-of-life plots.

I suppose it's comparable to one of the less action oriented Miyazaki films, like Tortoro or Kiki's Delivery Service, and those (Totoro especially) are some of my overall favourite films. I just don't understand why there is no middle between absolutely amazing slice of life and utterly boring.

The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Colme wrote:
Metazoxan wrote:I wanted more development, more crisis, something more to happen but all I got was something that felt like filler. I think I didn't technicaly drop it but I just kinda stopped watching half way through the season. I kept telling myself I'd watch the next episode to see if it ever got better but I never did.

Exactly. That is precisely why I don't watch much slice of life or "romance" anime, all to often I find that nothing happens. It's a shame too because I just read this fantastic novel called Medicine River, which is essentially a slice of life narrative, it has interesting stories to tell about life in a small town without any major action or crisis, but I can rarely find an anime with such good characterization and slice-of-life plots.

I suppose it's comparable to one of the less action oriented Miyazaki films, like Tortoro or Kiki's Delivery Service, and those (Totoro especially) are some of my overall favourite films. I just don't understand why there is no middle between absolutely amazing slice of life and utterly boring.

Well IMO plenty of Romance anime, and a couple slice of life, do have something happening. They key thing in series like this is the characters. If you can get invested into the characters and care who they end up with or what happens to them then you can get into the genera provided those questions make some kinda progress. The problem with Ai yori Aioshi is that they don't. The slow pacing makes sense for several reasons but the progress feels dead rather than simply slow. So even if you care about the characters little seems to happen to make you worry about them or ask "What next". Remember Slice of life doesn't mean "Slow plot" it means following their daily lives.

So probably the reason you can't find any middle ground is because slice of life is generally a hit or a miss. Either you get involved with the characters or you don't. Or you love the characters and the plot makes you worry about them or it doesn't. If it fails in either of those ways I can't think of anything else slice of life has to offer. The genra has a fan base since it relates better to our own lives than other genera but at the same time we sometimes watch anime to escape that. For those who mostly watch anime for the latter, slice of life will hardly ever appeal to them.

Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlurredExistence on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:01 pm

Anime's i've dropped:
009-1 - I didn't like the artwork.
Chrono Crusade - Main character was incredibly annoying.
Divergence Eve and by proxy Divergence Eve 2 - The artwork is beyond atrocious, especially when they did the 3D space crap.
Jinki:Extend - Just couldn't get invested in it, probably cause i didn't like any of the cast.
Magic Knight Rayearth - I thought it was pretty good at the start but started to get annoyed by the main character's stupidity and when they were doing all that child like believe in your friends stuff i just couldn't care less any more.
Maria†Holic - Story/Style/Characters none of them were too my taste.
Onii-sama e... - Artwork again, this one was particularly bad tho. I know it's a very old anime but when your main cast of women look more like men then regular men do then i'm turning off.

My dropped list is actually quite small cause i'm such a completionist that even if i'm really hating on something i'll strive to do my best to work thru it till the end. If i could make a hate list that would probably be much longer... altho i don't really think (proportionally to the number of animes i've watched) that i've encountered all too many animes that i didn't enjoy.

Last edited by BlurredExistence on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
The Greatest Anime Music Playlist!... or it will be someday.
BlurredExistence
Silver Saint

Male Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

Post by Kusanagi on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Chihayafuru. It wasn't bad... actually, it was pretty good. But I could not stand one of the main guys (not the glasses guy). He was literally the only reason I dropped it. He was just such a bitch.

I'm not fond of Kaichou wa Maid-sama. It's probably just too shoujo for me, but I've read almost half of the current chapters for Kimi ni Todoke and I've been okay with it, so it may be something else.

MyAnimeList
Kusanagi

Male Posts : 291
The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Oh. Here's the rest of the anime I've dropped.

Amnesia

Ao no Exorcist

Beelzebub

Digimon Frontier

Dragon Ball Kai

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun

Hiiro no Kakera

Konjiki no Gash Bell!

Love Hina

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

Shaman King

Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan

Content Director

Male Posts : 1174
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Keiichi Morisato on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Shinsekai Yori although im told it got better.

Professional Procrastinator

Male Posts : 877
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Keiichi Morisato wrote:Shinsekai Yori although im told it got better.

It did. But don't bother picking it back up. It takes awhile for things to get good.

Content Director

Back to top Go down

Post by IloveHolo on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:59 pm

I could not stand Green Green, mostly due to the protagonist's friends. They irked me deeply.

I couldn't get into Hellsing Ultimate. I really liked the original Hellsing, but I just didn't like Ultimate.

I also dropped Mysterious Girlfriend X, simply because I couldn't get into it. Something about the characters.

MAL|Vestige of Chivalry|Ex-Staff|Ginger|I <3 you guys
Just an empty shell.
IloveHolo
Lab Member

Male Posts : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Keiichi Morisato on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Im gonna get stoned for this but I cant get into Bleach much.

Professional Procrastinator

Male Posts : 877
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by BlurredExistence on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Keiichi Morisato wrote:Im gonna get stoned for this but I cant get into Bleach much.

I can't get into it so much that the very mention of it has put me off giving it ago. Now how's that for a statement that'll get you stoned?

BlurredExistence
Silver Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:03 pm

Colme wrote:

Yeah me too I just don't have the drive to want to know what's next. I'm trying to change my habits though, there are so many slice of life anime I need to at least get a little into them.
Spice and Wolf was all dialogue no action (well except for maybe one episode) and I thought it was great. Trying to broaden my anime list so I can become more knowledgeable about anime in general.
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by MiniSiets on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:20 pm

Anime I dropped:
Bleach
Girls Bravo
Halo Legends
Last Exile
Lucky Star

Some that I finished but didn't really get into:
Darker than Black
Black Cat
Burst Angel
Linebarrels of Iron
Tokko
Desert Punk

In principle slice of life isn't my cup of tea because what I look for in a series is something to escape reality and experience something that I can't normally in real life, so why would I care to watch everyday people live out their everyday lives which is something that I already can experience on my own? But even still, a well enough executed plot can help me overcome that hurdle, especially if it can get me to rethink some aspect of my own life and how I can better appreciate some things, but it's really hard to write a plot that can effectively do this.

MAL Profile | YouTube Channel | Blog
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:59 pm

MiniSiets wrote:Anime I dropped:
Bleach
Girls Bravo
Halo Legends
Last Exile
Lucky Star

Some that I finished but didn't really get into:
Darker than Black
Black Cat
Burst Angel
Linebarrels of Iron

Tokko
Desert Punk

In principle slice of life isn't my cup of tea because what I look for in a series is something to escape reality and experience something that I can't normally in real life, so why would I care to watch everyday people live out their everyday lives which is something that I already can experience on my own? But even still, a well enough executed plot can help me overcome that hurdle, especially if it can get me to rethink some aspect of my own life and how I can better appreciate some things, but it's really hard to write a plot that can effectively do this.

Black Cat: It does drag for a bit but it gets good near the end and is one of those anime that actually ties up all of it's lose ends at the end instead of leaving half of it open for more.

Burst Angel: Can't blame you at all on this one. The show was mostly episodic but tried to weave a plot through it. It fails at this. The end result barely makes any sense and at least a 4th of the episodes were completely pointless except to give some minor characters a chance to shine. The Chef never does anything useful and just wines. and it is one of those endings that thinks it is being clever by leaving the fate of some of it's characters unkown.

Linebarrel: Again can't blame you here. The way the MC goes completely power mad is kinda interesting but once that ends it just goes pretty downhill with a really choppy plot. Probably the worst part of the entire series was
Spoiler:
The revilation near the end that the "Bad guys" who attacked you, tried to kill you, and turned the entire world against you for most of the series..... ARE ACTUALLY THE GOOD GUYS!!!!! Yeah turns out they were actually trying to help the earth get ready for an invasion from an alternate reality. The way they reveal it is just so forced it feels like they made it up on the spot.

I just remembered one other I dropped

Demonbane

Why did I drop this? Because the entire show felt like a rip off of every show of it's kind. You have the Jack of all trades guy who goes on a job only to get mixed up in something way over his head. You have the loud, Loli Tsundere who is the source of the magic power and acts like she is a queen or something. You have the quest to gather "Pages" which are part of the girls power and gathering them gives the MC she is partnered with more power. You have the villain who the hero can't even touch when they first meet and acts like he things he's a badass but you know the MC will win in the end.... I just couldn't stand this show. Ever minute of it bored me. Every second felt like the most unoriginal trash I have ever seen. Not a single character was interesting and there wasn't a plot twist in sight.

If this has been one of the first anime I had ever seen I probably would have liked it. It's plain uninspired plot would have been new to me. But I wasn't new and this show didn't have a single redeeming feature to it.

Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:27 pm

Keiichi Morisato wrote:Im gonna get stoned for this but I cant get into Bleach much.

That's not unusual. Plenty of people didn't get into Bleach.

I also got 300 episodes into One Piece and stopped watching it.

Content Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaysp656 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:50 pm

Only problem I have with Bleach is the huge story archs but actually very little overall story actually relevant (Only seen first 200 or so episodes). I haven't dropped it, just taking a break.

Custom Themes For Win7 & 8
MAL
Anime Music:

Current Anime Library - (includes Vocaloid under Hatsune Miku Folder)

Vocaloid Library

Jaysp656
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 301
The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by BlurredExistence on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:59 pm

Metazoxan wrote:
MiniSiets wrote:Linebarrels of Iron

Linebarrel: Again can't blame you here. The way the MC goes completely power mad is kinda interesting but once that ends it just goes pretty downhill with a really choppy plot. Probably the worst part of the entire series was
Spoiler:
The revilation near the end that the "Bad guys" who attacked you, tried to kill you, and turned the entire world against you for most of the series..... ARE ACTUALLY THE GOOD GUYS!!!!! Yeah turns out they were actually trying to help the earth get ready for an invasion from an alternate reality. The way they reveal it is just so forced it feels like they made it up on the spot.

Actually talking about Linebarrel: I finished that series, i had to really push myself to do it tho, and the thing is that i realised at the end that what is the major problem with the series thruout is that you know it could have been better!

It's one of those animes where you can see the potential in it and constantly notice things that you know if were done slightly differently then it could have been a really good seires. The fact that it fails constantly to achieve that promise tho makes it one of those series that, while ain't terrible, are worthy of a lot of scorn, tho that's just my opinion.

Sometimes doing "ok" is so much worse than failing entirely.

In fact i can only think of one other series that's not only committed this crime but actually was so much worse: Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse. Seriously that was a series that not only had promise but it showed you in the first two episodes exactly what it could be and then spent the next 22 not only failing to live up to it but pretty much s**ting all over it. I could rant for hours on all the ways that anime failed!

BlurredExistence
Silver Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:09 pm

BlurredExistence wrote:
Metazoxan wrote:
MiniSiets wrote:Linebarrels of Iron

Spoiler:

Actually talking about Linebarrel: I finished that series, i had to really push myself to do it tho, and the thing is that i realised at the end that what is the major problem with the series thruout is that you know it could have been better!

It's one of those animes where you can see the potential in it and constantly notice things that you know if were done slightly differently then it could have been a really good seires. The fact that it fails constantly to achieve that promise tho makes it one of those series that, while ain't terrible, are worthy of a lot of scorn, tho that's just my opinion.

Sometimes doing "ok" is so much worse than failing entirely.

In fact i can only think of one other series that's not only committed this crime but actually was so much worse: Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse. Seriously that was a series that not only had promise but it showed you in the first two episodes exactly what it could be and then spent the next 22 not only failing to live up to it but pretty much s**ting all over it. I could rant for hours on all the ways that anime failed!

Yeah Linebarrel did have potential. The extreme use of CGI for the mecha was the first thing they should have fixed. Also as I said the MC going power mad right off the bat was actually pretty good and they should have tried running with that a bit longer and maybe doing something like Death Note where the MC becomes the villain. It would have worked to because he was so absorbed into himself he attacked anything he saw as evil. Just like Light. The only different would have been the one who gave him the power would try to make him stop instead of encouraging him like Ryuk did.

Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 pm

We have some pretty interasting choices here. I was about to jump the gun and defend my anime then realize most of these are simply anime we could not get into. No need for a white knight now. Funny how one person can easily get into an anime and another find it boring.
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by BlurredExistence on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:57 pm

Doomguy wrote:We have some pretty interasting choices here. I was about to jump the gun and defend my anime then realize most of these are simply anime we could not get into. No need for a white knight now. Funny how one person can easily get into an anime and another find it boring.

True enough, tho as a great man once said "there's no accounting for taste". Wink What i find even more surprising are those animes you think you're gonna hate sit down and watch them anyway and find yourself loving them even tho they're completely counter to your tastes and end up with a special place in your heart for shining thru. Of course the same is true of the reverse, animes that you should love because they possess all the qualities you look for but hate and hate vehemently because they become the titans of disappointment.

BlurredExistence
Silver Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:13 am

BlurredExistence wrote:
Doomguy wrote:We have some pretty interasting choices here. I was about to jump the gun and defend my anime then realize most of these are simply anime we could not get into. No need for a white knight now. Funny how one person can easily get into an anime and another find it boring.

True enough, tho as a great man once said "there's no accounting for taste". Wink What i find even more surprising are those animes you think you're gonna hate sit down and watch them anyway and find yourself loving them even tho they're completely counter to your tastes and end up with a special place in your heart for shining thru. Of course the same is true of the reverse, animes that you should love because they possess all the qualities you look for but hate and hate vehemently because they become the titans of disappointment.

Spice and Wolf and Oda Nobuna are good examples of the former. I really didn't expect much out of either and S&W's slow pace should have bored me to death. But I just loved it. I also expected Oda Nobuna to just be a cheap harem series that I was going to kill a little free time with but while I wouldn't call it anime of the year that show was amazing compared to what I thought it would be and I'm still hoping for a second season.

For dissapointments I guess Linebarrel and Demonbane are good examples. I'm not super picky with anime. Give me a decent plot and likable enough characters and I can find enough to keep me interested enough to at least finish it. Mecha series and Magic powered shows like those two are normally especially easy to write decent material for. But Linebarrel just screwed itself up part way through and Demonbane was just a bland mess.

I guess the old phrase "You can't judge a book by its cover" applies here.

Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlurredExistence on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:25 am

Metazoxan wrote:"You can't judge a book by its cover" applies here.

Truer words have never been spoken, and that's exactly what draws me to anime more than any other entertainment medium. You never know what you're truly going to get until you sit down and watch the thing. You'll read the synopsis, you'll look at the promotional artwork, you'll even read reviews and listen to other peoples opinions, and all of those will make you form in you head your own ruff idea of what it's going to be like, but more often than not you will find that idea is completely wrong and you're in for something completely different!

Which is much much much much much much MUCH more better than going down the cinema and knowing that every single rom com is going follow the exact same pattern that every other rom com has followed up to this point and so on for either other genre of movies that's been coming out of Hollywood for how many decades now? At least since the 90's. Oh and turn on the TV and tell me exactly how many US comedies at the moment aren't exact copies of all the other US comedies that are out there only with the location changed? It's all basically Friends. STILL!

Ugh, sorry got of track and had a bit of a rant there. Anyway anime RULES!

BlurredExistence
Silver Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuyushi on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:41 am

Some people may condem me for this but..
DBZ
Naruto
Fairy Tail

ALL over rated to me.

My Anime List ^_^ ----> http://myanimelist.net/profile/TsuyuChan
Tsuyushi
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 175
The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top