Gas Prices

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gas Prices

Post by plantkingman on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Gas prices have risen so high its ridiculous! We need that pipe line from Canada, but that useless president lied through his teeth about it saying we don't need it. America will probably have to wait until he's out of office until America eventually gets it. America has enough oil to be independent from any country and there is no need for it to be over priced as it is.
plantkingman
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Re: Gas Prices

Post by joshier on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:47 pm

Gas is a non-elastic market though. People need it, they have little choice of alternatives and have to pay to use it. When the prices go up, people will continue to pay for it therefore the companies see no point in lowering it again. Simple Business strategy...

Shinigami

Male Posts : 203
Designing Club

Back to top Go down

Post by MiniSiets on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Net petroleum imports have actually been falling in recent years as America has been upping its own production but gas prices keep going up regardless. The Keystone pipeline is at best a temporary solution to the problem. We just need to find another fuel source for transportation altogether; it's bad for the environment and a limited resource. By the way if you're thinking Obama isn't going to approve the pipeline, you aren't paying close enough attention. Obama only plays himself up as an environmentalist to pander to his constituents. What he does behind closed doors however is nearly always pro-corporation, pro-business every time. He already approved the bottom half of the pipeline in March last year; it's only a matter of time before he approves the other half.

MAL Profile | YouTube Channel | Blog
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by - The Rose - on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:37 pm

gas prices in NJ are roung $3.50 and gallon. though it goes up like 10 cents at a time and drops only a few pennies at a time about twice a week.
- The Rose -
Shinigami

Male Posts : 313

Back to top Go down

Post by Valvatorez on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:18 pm

Siphon gas from others.
Problem solved.
Just don't get caught.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/KarmaDelta

---------------------------------------

Spoiler:

Valvatorez
Yuri Lover
Yuri Lover

Female Posts : 635
The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Deathfire123 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:20 pm

Gas is pricey enough in Canada, get your dirty grabby American hands away from our oil
Deathfire123
Silver Saint

The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club Cooking Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Nim on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:20 pm

You can have our gas. For a price!
But the Natives don't want you to ruin the land..... They annoy me.

Zombie

Male Posts : 161
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 pm

I hope 50 years from now I'll be laughing at this topic in a new hydro\alternate energy hovercar.

In the meantime, use it or lose it.
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by plantkingman on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:43 pm

Deathfire123 wrote:Gas is pricey enough in Canada, get your dirty grabby American hands away from our oil

Thats not what I meant. There is a company in Canada that was willing to sell a contract to America for a pipeline through America down to Texas. But that useless president keeps saying no.
plantkingman
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Post by MiniSiets on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:57 pm

plantkingman wrote:
Deathfire123 wrote:Gas is pricey enough in Canada, get your dirty grabby American hands away from our oil

Thats not what I meant. There is a company in Canada that was willing to sell a contract to America for a pipeline through America down to Texas. But that useless president keeps saying no.
And as I've already pointed out, the pipeline will likely do little to quell gas prices while potentially having adverse effects on the environment, and the President hasn't even said no yet. He's already approved construction for the bottom half, and he has yet to make a decision on the new proposal to approve the next half.

MAL Profile | YouTube Channel | Blog
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Colme on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:26 am

plantkingman wrote:Thats not what I meant. There is a company in Canada that was willing to sell a contract to America for a pipeline through America down to Texas. But that useless president keeps saying no.

The pipeline is a horrible idea in every possible way. Stephen Harper should be the one completely against it, yet it's Obama who says no. I'm thankful, but it is strange.

The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper Tiger on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:59 am

I don't think we have so much a supply problem, as our demand is too high. And it's too high cause IMHO vehicle manufacturers are pushing technology in the "wrong" direction - compared to similar models from say 10 years ago, too many current-production vehicles offer twice the power output w/ only a marginal increase in fuel economy. In some cases (namely domestic pickup trucks) fuel economy is actually worse, and the ridiculous power that sacrifice is made for can't even be put to proper use to begin with cause of weight restrictions. So how about we cut down on the power a bit, and use the design margins for improving fuel economy?

Also, if I'm loaded light I can move 5 tons of freight over a distance of 1000 miles on around 130 gallons of fuel. Maxed out w/o permit I can now move like 25 tons of freight over the same 1000 miles on around 180 gallons of fuel, or about 40% increase in fuel consumption for 400% increase in payload. Running on a permit I can get 50 tons of freight across the same 1000 miles on like 250 gallons of fuel, so another 40% increase for additional 100% increase in payload. Numbers are approximate, but you get the idea - it does not take twice the fuel to move twice the freight. I'd love to be able to pull full-length doubles day in and day out - it would save 30% of fuel on the loaded run alone, and I won't have to make two return trips either - that's (quite literally) a boat load of fuel that doesn't get used, just by a single road tractor. And supposedly big trucks currently make up for like 20% of total fuel use in the US - if even half of us professional steering wheel holders were allowed to regularly drag two trailers at a time it would make for a tremendous reduction in yearly fuel consumption country-wide!
Paper Tiger
Bronze Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by SkepticalDragon on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:59 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_and_diesel_usage_and_pricing

The United States is paying significantly less for a gallon of gasoline and diesel than most of the world, it seems America is paying nearer the cost that OPEC (Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries) member states are paying for it.
plantkingman wrote:

Another trans-national pipeline even of this size wouldn't make a meaningful improvement in gasoline prices or unemployment, it would be another environmental hazard and invitation for governmental eminent domain for private for-profit commercial purposes with tax supported public stimulus... which ultimately like many of the other pipelines in America will be under-maintained becoming structurally deficient and a danger to the public.

Despite my critical opinion I don't outright oppose the keystone pipeline, perhaps the only viable argument I have seen for it is an "all of the above" attitude for managing the energy crisis... but the keystone pipeline supporters come across with a reckless "drill baby drill" attitude that I find myself uncomfortable with.
SkepticalDragon
Lab Member

Male Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Colme on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:23 am

SkepticalDragon wrote:Despite my critical opinion I don't outright oppose the keystone pipeline, perhaps the only viable argument I have seen for it is an "all of the above" attitude for managing the energy crisis... but the keystone pipeline supporters come across with a reckless "drill baby drill" attitude that I find myself uncomfortable with.

I don't know what the situation is in the states, but the problem with the pipeline from the Canadian side is how it's raising all sorts of problems with indigenous treaty rights and land claims.

The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:35 am

Colme wrote:
SkepticalDragon wrote:Despite my critical opinion I don't outright oppose the keystone pipeline, perhaps the only viable argument I have seen for it is an "all of the above" attitude for managing the energy crisis... but the keystone pipeline supporters come across with a reckless "drill baby drill" attitude that I find myself uncomfortable with.

I don't know what the situation is in the states, but the problem with the pipeline from the Canadian side is how it's raising all sorts of problems with indigenous treaty rights and land claims.

Before any concerns about the environment (not to sound dismissive or anything), basic land rights need to be respected first and resolved. Things have great potential to get bad if no one does anything but I don't want to trample on anyone's land either. This will get passed I have no doubt, hopefully everyone comes out happy.
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by SkepticalDragon on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:29 am

SkepticalDragon wrote:Another trans-national pipeline even of this size wouldn't make a meaningful improvement in gasoline prices or unemployment, it would be another environmental hazard and invitation for governmental eminent domain for private for-profit commercial purposes with tax supported public stimulus... which ultimately like many of the other pipelines in America will be under-maintained becoming structurally deficient and a danger to the public.
Colme wrote:

I alluded to this when I stated it would be an invitation for "governmental eminent domain" and "tax supported public stimulus". What I meant by this is I think this proposed trans-national pipeline cannot be built without the government ENDING those disputes either through money or through eminent domain. If you are meaning the issue that the pipeline needs approval before it crosses an international boundary, this I am much less familiar with, but my statement was assuming that such approval was already obtained.

Although I find it very regretful that the United States and Canada doesn't enjoy a more open border considering the strong geographic, historical, cultural, diplomatic, and economic relations that both these nations have.
SkepticalDragon
Lab Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:09 pm

Sometimes I wonder if we might just be better off if we just basically ran out of Gas. Then we would be forced to find alternative already instead of dragging our feet with it. I don't actually want that to happen but I do wonder if we could get over our gas dependence and create that alternative before the economy hit rock bottom from the loss of the gas industry.

I am the president of the Manga club
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 793
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:27 pm

simple solution, become a world class bike rider, no, not motorcycles

| Anime-Planet | Youtube | osu! |
sex on the beach:
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 997
Key / Visual Art's Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 am

DemonEyesJoe wrote:simple solution, become a world class bike rider, no, not motorcycles

Yay! Fight obesity and pollution at the same time!

I am the president of the Manga club
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 793
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:20 pm

Metazoxan wrote:
DemonEyesJoe wrote:simple solution, become a world class bike rider, no, not motorcycles

Yay! Fight obesity and pollution at the same time!

| Anime-Planet | Youtube | osu! |
sex on the beach:
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 997
Key / Visual Art's Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by SkepticalDragon on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:28 pm

Arkansas Oil Spill Sheds Light On Aging Pipeline System - NPR

This crisis in Arkansas is important because the American-Canadian trans-national pipeline would be carrying the same kind of oil as this spill had... and as we are learning its more difficult to clean up than previously was lead on... and the pipes were not maintained as promised.
SkepticalDragon
Lab Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top