Which Appeals to You More?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which Appeals to You More?

Post by IloveHolo on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Most romance series take place in one of two stages. The first being the protagonist starting out as a friend or something of the like and eventually reaching a point where the protagonist and his interest come close enough together to consider them "dating". The second being where the majority of the series revolves around the couple in an actual relationship, whether it be dating or marriage.

My question for you is this: Which do you prefer? Do you like to see the slow, but sure force of attraction bringing two people who care about each other together? Watching feelings blossom and consume the character's every thought? Or perhaps you like to watch the two grow ever closer, until feelings of love cannot be denied. You wish to see them interact in their daily lives, live for each other, and enjoy the emotions that come with it.

Personally, I believe it to be a difficult choice. Not every series can hold both the build-up and the relationship. I love watching characters realize their feelings, and have their actions altered as such. But, I also love watching two people live their lives with the other always in their mind. The interactions between characters in both kinds are just wonderful to watch. If I absolutely had to choose, I would probably side with watching the relationship. Seeing a couple overcome conflict and grow closer from it just makes me happy.

MAL|Vestige of Chivalry|Ex-Staff|Ginger|I <3 you guys
Just an empty shell.
IloveHolo
Lab Member

Male Posts : 36

Back to top Go down

Re: Which Appeals to You More?

Post by MrLincecum on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:01 am

I see what you're saying Holo. Watching a blossoming relationship is something I do enjoy in romance animes, but the ones I enjoy the most are actually a mix of both of those scenarios. Although there aren't many examples of this, I enjoy animes where the protagonist and the main love interest realize their feelings for each other quickly and become a couple, but then still continue to develop their relationship further even after getting together.

I'm not sure if i'm misinterpreting what you were suggesting with "watching the couple in an actual relationship," but I find it really enjoyable and really heartwarming when two characters can be intimate with one another without any doubt of the other person's feelings as they overcome conflict and continue to become closer to one another [While still being in the relationship]. I'm not sure if I explained that well enough, so i'll just say some examples of this are Bakemonogatari, Clannad, and Suzuka [Although Suzuka isn't exactly the best example, it still works].

I hate it when I watch a romance anime, get all the way to the end, they get together, and then it stops. In my opinion, the story doesn't end with the journey, if you know what I mean. It's just a personal opinion, but I think the relationship itself is more heartening than actually getting to the relationship.

tl;dr I like it when the protagonist and main love interest are in a relationship, but still continue to grow closer even after getting together.

Male Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by LunarLexal on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:08 am

Well, I'm not that big into the romance genre, but I do love a little bit of a romance flare to my anime. So, here's my two cents on both types, than my opinion on which is better:

First Type.) I would have to say that I really love watching the future couple grow closer together, until they both declare that they love each other. A lot of my favorite anime has such a development in them. However, anime that are purely romance and fall into this category, the build up is almost always super slow. The main character is super dense and doesn't get it at all, even if the girl flat out tells him she loves him! This is the main reason why I dislike the romance genre. Another reason is that, sometimes, they add pointless drama. Like an old friend of the MC appearing out of nowhere and declares that he also loves the girl. I think this development is fine though, if the friend has always been in the series, and not just appeared on the episode before.

But, there are those rare anime that gives so much emotion into their story that it makes it so fun and enjoyable to watch the two grow closer! despite my ranting about what's so bad about this type of romance, I sincerely enjoy these small gems.

Second type.) The second type, I think, tends to be a more Slice-Of-Life anime. In my opinion, I like watching these types of anime. I like to watch a couple overcome their differences and just love and be there for each other. There is also some problems with unnecessary drama, but usually in this type of romance, it can be explained in a satisfying manner.

In the end, I think I have to go with the couple. Because, sometimes, the first type can become so mixed with unnecessary drama, that the two just forgets who they love. (Or it takes them all season, just to kiss.)

I just enjoy watching the Romance/Slice-Of-Life.

@ MrLincecum:
I agree, I enjoy it when the anime continues after they get together to.

Adjuchas

Male Posts : 565
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:04 am

i like the shows that do BOTH!

on one side you have clannad, a homely love stroy that encases both

and then you have phantom ~requiem of the phantom~ which also does it, but in a much darker way

| Anime-Planet | Youtube | osu! |
sex on the beach:
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 997
Key / Visual Art's Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by plantkingman on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:52 pm

I'm not really a fan of the romance genre, but some is ok.
plantkingman
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyako~Mayushii on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:03 pm

^Anata wa doushite koko ni posto wo shimashita ka? -.-'

Nanishiro, Watashi ga, ichiban no erabi no hou ga ii desu. Kono michisuji ni anime wa motto omoshiroku ni narimasu ne~

(^ Why did you bother posting here?

Anyway, I prefer the first choice, it makes the anime's story more interesting.

Niji ga deru to usagi ni naru~!
Nyako~Mayushii
Gillian

Female Posts : 82
Key / Visual Art's Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginger7327 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:59 am

Clannad was actually the first anime I watched, and so far the only one, where it kept going after two characters actually became a couple. I loved Clannad, it was different from the anime I had previously watched but I am more into the harem side, where the main character is choosing between girls, like To Love Ru. Just my opinion, I think the build up is better.

Male Posts : 132
The Anime Cafe The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:41 pm

Call it cliche but a good "love triangle" suits me fine in any format, anime, movie, or video game.
When it come to a school life scenerio though with a bunch of "options" (that doesn't sound right lol), I start to lose interest unless all the other folks bring something to the story.
Also I do like the first person to win out in the end. That leads to something else too. CLOSURE. I don't want a love triangle to end with no winner. I want to see both a winner and a loser.

EDIT
Btw I love holo too (topic creator)
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginger7327 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:27 am

Doomguy wrote:Call it cliche but a good "love triangle" suits me fine in any format, anime, movie, or video game.
When it come to a school life scenerio though with a bunch of "options" (that doesn't sound right lol), I start to lose interest unless all the other folks bring something to the story.
Also I do like the first person to win out in the end. That leads to something else too. CLOSURE. I don't want a love triangle to end with no winner. I want to see both a winner and a loser.

EDIT
Btw I love holo too (topic creator)

I'm with you. I root for the first girl usually (or the tsundere) and I dont like it when an anime just drops and there is no end, or closure as you called it. The most recent anime I watched,
Spoiler:
Ichigo 100%,
ended just like that and it kinda ticked me off.

I think choosing between two girls is enough, so the triangle works for me too. Unless the anime is going on for more than a season or two, unlike most of the romantic anime i have watched, then more than two girls seems like too much to fit into one season and have at least some sort of relationship.

*I am not sure if the spoiler tag is necessary, but idk*

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayvon on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:35 pm

IloveHolo wrote:Most romance series take place in one of two stages. The first being the protagonist starting out as a friend or something of the like and eventually reaching a point where the protagonist and his interest come close enough together to consider them "dating". The second being where the majority of the series revolves around the couple in an actual relationship, whether it be dating or marriage.

My question for you is this: Which do you prefer? Do you like to see the slow, but sure force of attraction bringing two people who care about each other together? Watching feelings blossom and consume the character's every thought? Or perhaps you like to watch the two grow ever closer, until feelings of love cannot be denied. You wish to see them interact in their daily lives, live for each other, and enjoy the emotions that come with it.

Personally, I believe it to be a difficult choice. Not every series can hold both the build-up and the relationship. I love watching characters realize their feelings, and have their actions altered as such. But, I also love watching two people live their lives with the other always in their mind. The interactions between characters in both kinds are just wonderful to watch. If I absolutely had to choose, I would probably side with watching the relationship. Seeing a couple overcome conflict and grow closer from it just makes me happy.

Both kind of relationships at the same time like what they did in "Say I Love You".

Male Posts : 197
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:07 am

Im not a fan of romance anyway, but i liked the one in the Rurouni Kenshin OVA. (about Kenshins past)

MyAnimeList
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 852
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by BK-201 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:01 am

I like both, where you see the characters get together and you get to see their lives together. Clannad is the best example of this.

With regards to the series that stop just after the characters get together, I don't really like these myself but there are some rare examples where they do this really well and leave you with a very satisfying feeling, an example of this is Maison Ikkoku.
BK-201
Shinigami

Male Posts : 247
The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club Film Club i4Japan The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaleb_K on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:10 am

This is a hard question, because even though both are strong suits followed by most romance anime, it is a different feeling when you watch the series that take these branches. The strength of emotion that comes from watching two people who secretly admire each other, or realize their feeling over time has a different effect that a set relationship t hat you watch develop. That is probably why Clannad did so great. Clannad starts with the former, two people who barely know each other, realizing their feelings, and struggling with tact for approaching the other, and then comes the After story, once they both know how they feel, what comes after that (I'll be damned if I ever feel that much emotion for any form of fiction again, that story was incredible). IF I had to choose though, I am going to side with watching the characters begin from strangers or just friends, realizing their feelings, and truing to figure out what to do, because there is more excitement, and it reminds of of the butterflies I got when I finally approached my first love. If an anime is going to focus on an established relationship, and how trial that they must face together, Spice and Wolf is the best example. It becomes all about the charm of the couple, because the story has just been set onto rails, and we all know where it has to go, and there are only two real outcomes.

Male Posts : 86
Cooking Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginger7327 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:42 am

Kaleb_K wrote:This is a hard question, because even though both are strong suits followed by most romance anime, it is a different feeling when you watch the series that take these branches. The strength of emotion that comes from watching two people who secretly admire each other, or realize their feeling over time has a different effect that a set relationship t hat you watch develop. That is probably why Clannad did so great. Clannad starts with the former, two people who barely know each other, realizing their feelings, and struggling with tact for approaching the other, and then comes the After story, once they both know how they feel, what comes after that (I'll be damned if I ever feel that much emotion for any form of fiction again, that story was incredible). IF I had to choose though, I am going to side with watching the characters begin from strangers or just friends, realizing their feelings, and truing to figure out what to do, because there is more excitement, and it reminds of of the butterflies I got when I finally approached my first love. If an anime is going to focus on an established relationship, and how trial that they must face together, Spice and Wolf is the best example. It becomes all about the charm of the couple, because the story has just been set onto rails, and we all know where it has to go, and there are only two real outcomes.

I think you put together your words perfectly. I completely agree with you, nothing can make me have more feels than Clannad did.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top