The First Topic: The meaning of life

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by sayWut on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:14 pm

Everyone looks at it differently the meaning of life is more or less what you make it out to be.

_________________
avatar
sayWut
BiriBiri Manager
BiriBiri Manager

Male Posts : 151
Join date : 2013-01-17
Age : 24
Location : England, West Midlands
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Blazer on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:01 pm

sayWut wrote:Everyone looks at it differently the meaning of life is more or less what you make it out to be.

I was about to say that....sayWut be so wise

_________________

avatar
Blazer
Saiya-Jin

Posts : 926
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 24
Location : Texas
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Belsfir on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:25 pm

The meaning of life is to live.

_________________
avatar
Belsfir
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 138
Join date : 2013-01-17
Age : 22
Location : Somewhere
Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Blazer on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Belsfir wrote:The meaning of life is to live.

but what is "to live"? What defines such activity?

_________________

avatar
Blazer
Saiya-Jin

Posts : 926
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 24
Location : Texas
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Dcmac on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:48 pm

To enjoy your life. Reproduction is only a small part of our lives. It takes... what, 14 years or so to be able to reproduce? It's only our society's rules that we wait longer to reproduce. Seems unnecessarily excessive to give us lives that at their lowest, lasted 50 years or so.
avatar
Dcmac
Gillian

Male Posts : 74
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 25
Location : Canada
Film Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Hikikomori on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:51 pm

To live and let live.

_________________


avatar
Hikikomori
Silver Saint

Posts : 304
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 23
Location : My house, ≈ 44° N, 91° W
Designing Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Belsfir on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:15 am

Blazer wrote:
Belsfir wrote:The meaning of life is to live.

but what is "to live"? What defines such activity?

To live is to exist as yourself.
If you are dead, you don't exist as yourself anymore. Everything other than death, you are alive.

This is like trying to fit a key in a keyhole that does not have a shape. Therefore, the key must have no shape as well. That said, the answer to the question of the meaning of life is shapeless.

Because of the nature of this topic, human intellect cannot understand its meaning, therefore we conceive it as shapeless. With our very limited sense perception, we cannot fully grasp its concept. So we see the truth as the best we can see it, and it would appear that this truth is shapeless. Therefore, the meaning of life is to simply live, since the answer is just as shapeless as the question.

_________________
avatar
Belsfir
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 138
Join date : 2013-01-17
Age : 22
Location : Somewhere
Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Blazer on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:47 am

Belsfir wrote:
Blazer wrote:
Belsfir wrote:The meaning of life is to live.

but what is "to live"? What defines such activity?

To live is to exist as yourself. Indeed.
If you are dead, you don't exist as yourself anymore. Everything other than death, you are alive. Who says you don't live beyond death?

This is like trying to fit a key in a keyhole that does not have a shape. Therefore, the key must have no shape as well. That said, the answer to the question of the meaning of life is shapeless.
Just because the keyhole has no shape, does not mean that there is a key with no shape. You hold and key and interpret it as you will. This belief gives the key it's shape and will allow you to carve a keyhole that you believe. You can not say that it is shapeless or at least always shapeless. Perhaps you lose sight of the key at times, but you can still regain what you have lost. All you must do is wait until you find the keyhole you desire or create one yourself.

Because of the nature of this topic, human intellect cannot understand its meaning, therefore we conceive it as shapeless. With our very limited sense perception, we cannot fully grasp its concept. So we see the truth as the best we can see it, and it would appear that this truth is shapeless. Therefore, the meaning of life is to simply live, since the answer is just as shapeless as the question.
If the human intellect can not understand something, you must first understand that you cannot understand it. Henceforth you have created something with what you can conceive. So it may be shapeless, but your living gives it shape. Your choices give shape and create what you cannot perceive. You could draw the conclusion that life or the meaning of life may be shapeless, but that does not mean that one must accept that or simply live through life. One can mold the shapeless into a shape and create a life for themselves. You hold the key to life within the very palms of your mind. Do not be lead astray.


Edit: I like this fellow named Belsfir ;D

_________________

avatar
Blazer
Saiya-Jin

Posts : 926
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 24
Location : Texas
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by svengerman on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:21 am

I think the meaning of life is allow choices to be made. Our existence is made of our and others choices. It all comes down to who chooses what.

svengerman
Academy Student

Posts : -1
Join date : 2013-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Belsfir on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:05 am

Blazer wrote:
Belsfir wrote:
Blazer wrote:
Belsfir wrote:The meaning of life is to live.

but what is "to live"? What defines such activity?

To live is to exist as yourself. Indeed.
If you are dead, you don't exist as yourself anymore. Everything other than death, you are alive. Who says you don't live beyond death?

This is like trying to fit a key in a keyhole that does not have a shape. Therefore, the key must have no shape as well. That said, the answer to the question of the meaning of life is shapeless.
Just because the keyhole has no shape, does not mean that there is a key with no shape. You hold and key and interpret it as you will. This belief gives the key it's shape and will allow you to carve a keyhole that you believe. You can not say that it is shapeless or at least always shapeless. Perhaps you lose sight of the key at times, but you can still regain what you have lost. All you must do is wait until you find the keyhole you desire or create one yourself.

Because of the nature of this topic, human intellect cannot understand its meaning, therefore we conceive it as shapeless. With our very limited sense perception, we cannot fully grasp its concept. So we see the truth as the best we can see it, and it would appear that this truth is shapeless. Therefore, the meaning of life is to simply live, since the answer is just as shapeless as the question.
If the human intellect can not understand something, you must first understand that you cannot understand it. Henceforth you have created something with what you can conceive. So it may be shapeless, but your living gives it shape. Your choices give shape and create what you cannot perceive. You could draw the conclusion that life or the meaning of life may be shapeless, but that does not mean that one must accept that or simply live through life. One can mold the shapeless into a shape and create a life for themselves. You hold the key to life within the very palms of your mind. Do not be lead astray.


Edit: I like this fellow named Belsfir ;D

I used the term shapeless in the likeness of inconceivable (at least to us) and variable. Also, it is true that a meaning of life can be formed on the individual level, but finding a universal meaning to life is completely shapeless.

More on shapelessness, I am more than certain that there is more to the universe than we can conceive, other dimensions for instance. So the meaning of life could be one of those things. Science is based off of what we conceive with our senses, for instance we record taste, smell, touch, and sight of something when giving an accurate report. What we cannot see, feel, taste, or smell we have found ways to perceive them by using technology to translate it so that we can see, feel, taste, or smell it. Radio waves for instance are something that we cannot normally perceive, but we can perceive it with out devices, which translate it into sound. This means there can and most likely be that there are things out there that we have not perceived with our senses or our devices. Or possibly can perceive...

Think of translating written text to speech, you read off the words and translate it into vocal sounds. The two relate and have a connection there, but somethings you cannot translate. Such as translating matter into speech, its simply impossible, the two are incompatible. It could be that some of these things out there are incompatible in translation with our senses, making them forever unknown to us because of natural limitations.

In conclusion, because of these natural limitations, there will always be concepts that we can never understand completely, such as the meaning of life (universally). We could only imagine within our limited minds what they could possibly mean

_________________
avatar
Belsfir
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 138
Join date : 2013-01-17
Age : 22
Location : Somewhere
Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by L3GION on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:10 am


_________________

MAL
avatar
L3GION
Silver Saint

Male Posts : 622
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 28
Location : Orlando, Florida
The Anime Cafe Designing Club Film Club The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Belsfir on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:11 am

L3GION wrote:

More like unreal, lol

This is my perception of the unknown

_________________
avatar
Belsfir
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 138
Join date : 2013-01-17
Age : 22
Location : Somewhere
Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Androgynous on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:21 pm

life is b happy
avatar
Androgynous
Lab Member

Posts : 54
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 97

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Androgynous on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:31 pm

wut u never heard of that
avatar
Androgynous
Lab Member

Posts : 54
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 97

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Blazer on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:41 pm

Belsfir wrote:
L3GION wrote:

More like unreal, lol

This is my perception of the unknown
I need to read that wall of text when I get home Very Happy Unreal as in like an Unreal Tournament? ;D

_________________

avatar
Blazer
Saiya-Jin

Posts : 926
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 24
Location : Texas
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by DemonEyesJoe on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Creation, in the most abstract meaning of it you can think of, wether we create this post, or, create a house, or create another life, we are creating all the time, hell, we create CO2 just by existing.

You could boil this down to merely influceing the world around us, but if you look at mankind as a whole you will see that throughout all this time from the stoneage up we have done nothing but create.

then some say, what about destruction, well, for 1, your creating a disaster, and/or creating harm. regardless of what you do, you are influencing somenoe through creation.

i think that is why people feel as though "god" is the ultimate creator, and that we were shaped in his image, or whatever they say in those old books. its that we ourselves are creators, but we have to wonder who created us, much like a robot may wonder who his parents are.

_________________
In this world, evil can arise from the best intentions; and there is good that can come from evil intentions.
>>YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO CLICK THIS<<>>ALSO LET ME KNOW IF MY SIG IS TO BIG<<

| Anime-Planet | Youtube | osu! |
sex on the beach:
avatar
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 997
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 27
Location : Virginia, USA
Key / Visual Art's Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Kelandis on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Ok, well. There are many theories on the meaning of life, with complex equations, souls searching and whatnot. But the true answer, one not derived from inside one's own self, but gathered from the outside world around one. Some say that people will never be able to fully comprehend this question.
When you ask, what is the meaning of life, you are, in reality, asking a much larger question. Almost everything in this grand universe can be used to determine it. Why do we express everything with the term, "it's lifetime", even when that one thing isn't exactly breathing and feeling. It is because "life" is not truly complex, but rather infinitely simple.
The answer has already been found to your question, and now i shall tell you. The answer ... is 42.

_________________
avatar
Kelandis
Lab Member

Male Posts : 72
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 21
Location : Texas
Designing Club The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by DemonEyesJoe on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:50 pm


_________________
In this world, evil can arise from the best intentions; and there is good that can come from evil intentions.
>>YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO CLICK THIS<<>>ALSO LET ME KNOW IF MY SIG IS TO BIG<<

| Anime-Planet | Youtube | osu! |
sex on the beach:
avatar
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 997
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 27
Location : Virginia, USA
Key / Visual Art's Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by MiniSiets on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:21 pm

The question really isn't that complicated. It just seems like it is because it doesn't make any sense, and by that I mean literally: the question isn't coherent. It makes an underlying assumption that there even is an objective universal meaning and therefore makes a categorical error and isn't being correctly phrased. It's similar to asking, "What does the color blue smell like?" This assumes blue is supposed to have a smell in the first place. While it's true that there are many blue things that have smells, the color by itself does not have any inherent scent.

As I briefly touched on in my previous post, concepts like "meaning" and "purpose" are things that are inherently subjective; IE products of the mind. In the absence of any sentient minds to give meaning to things then there is no meaning. Taking this into consideration, there can be no universal meaning to anything, or at least it's incredibly difficult to achieve since it would require every mind in the universe to reach a consensus on it. Even if we assumed hypothetically that some god created us and therefore gets to decide the meaning of life, that still doesn't make it universal, as it would still ultimately amount to nothing more than just his opinion and I can easily disagree with it and choose my own meaning for life, in the same way that just because you were born from your parents doesn't mean you are beholden to any purpose they try to impose for your life.

Again, it is a subjective question, not objective, and therefore the entire phrasing of the question is flawed.

_________________

MAL Profile | YouTube Channel | Blog
avatar
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 28
Location : Future Gadget Lab
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Colme on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:23 am

MiniSiets wrote:IE products of the mind.

The logic (although no necessarily the conclusion) of your argument is flawed, although I'm more concerned about Internet Explorer GETTING INTO My MIND?!!
avatar
Colme
Bronze Saint

Posts : 216
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 22
Location : Ottawa
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by MiniSiets on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:52 am

Colme wrote:The logic (although no necessarily the conclusion) of your argument is flawed
Care to expand upon this then? I value your input.

although I'm more concerned about Internet Explorer GETTING INTO My MIND?!!
Of course. How else do you expect Microsoft to sell their browser? It's not like they can compete legitimately or anything.

_________________

MAL Profile | YouTube Channel | Blog
avatar
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 28
Location : Future Gadget Lab
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by RDragonzx on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:45 am

If we discuss this and make is exclusively humans; life can both hold meaning and none, meaning that life holds is transitional and 'optional'. If you simply pluck one human from the stream of time, removing all impact they had during their existence. People with find other things to possibly fill their life with meaning or they may not at all. Replacements could be found in animals, organisms or objects, these replacements would offer very different experience, but they’d still hold meaning.
Simply by removing all impact the person removed had and could potentially have, made that person’s life meaningless to all third parties involved, though it could still hold meaning to them.
Life is only as meaningful as people find its experiences, any impact with another person with give them their own experiences and they will attach their own meaning to them.
The meaning that life holds is transitional and 'optional'. Life is said to be given meaning through our experiences with animals, (this includes humans) various other organisms (insects, plants, etc.) and objects. These experiences are what we give and find meaning in.
Therefore life only holds as much meaning and value as the person experiencing it gives.

_________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
avatar
RDragonzx
Academy Student

Male Posts : 0
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 25
Location : Adelaide, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Doomguy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:53 pm

There's no meaning. It's just what you put into it. It starts as a blank slate and it's up to you to fill it up with all your experience much like how an author writes on a blank page or a painter paints on a canvas. You got one shot at it so make it count.
avatar
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 28
Location : High security asylum room in JD
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by SkepticalDragon on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:47 pm

There is an ever so slight difference between "meaning" and "purpose", but between both the implication that one can fail, but I am skeptical of this for various reasons. As a geneticist argued life's purpose in a very minimal and evolutionary/biological interpretation is to survive individually and collectively as a species. Personally I don't think there is enough evidence to show that any world view in this regards is adequate or demonstrable, even those that claim purpose/meaning is arbitrary or illusionary... although I admit that biological definition does seem to have some attributes that near adequate and demonstrable to me. But because I tend to skepticism perhaps this won't be surprising but I suspect there is a plurality of meaning and purpose to life...
avatar
SkepticalDragon
Lab Member

Male Posts : 62
Join date : 2013-01-22
Age : 30
Location : Earth

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by MiniSiets on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:32 am

For the record, I am not among anyone that claims meaning is arbitrary and illusionary; I just understand that it is necessarily subjective. People seem to have a hard time grasping the difference between objective and subjective sometimes, and just because something *is* subjective doesn't make it equivalent to being nonexistent or useless.

I agree that the biological interpretation is insufficient because it's still ultimately trying to draw (objective) purpose that just isn't there. Life reproduces because it is programmed in its DNA to do so as a result of natural selection; that doesn't imply that there is any meaning or purpose behind it, because again we're assuming a viewpoint where life is preferable to non-life, which is a matter of perspective. One could equally argue that because life always necessarily results in death and eventually extinction (99% of all lifeforms that have existed on Earth have gone extinct after all), its purpose is to die.

_________________

MAL Profile | YouTube Channel | Blog
avatar
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 28
Location : Future Gadget Lab
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Topic: The meaning of life

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum