Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by Natsu Dragneel on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Here you can discuss anything about the anime/manga series Elfen Lied.

Man, the anime really traumatized me for some reason, and I don't even remember why

_________________
"So you're gonna end this by dying, huh? Stop running away!" Natsu Dragneel


YouTube | Twitter | MAL
avatar
Natsu Dragneel
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 743
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 22
Location : Tijuana
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by Doomguy on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:54 pm

Music in the anime was awesome. Violence was over the top but there was substance to the plot. Overall a difficult anime to judge because it's so unique but I really enjoyed it.
avatar
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 28
Location : High security asylum room in JD
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by Wampa on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:57 pm

This was one of the only animes that i watched the entire opening for ever single time because i love the song lilium my hemophobia had a mini break down on the first episode and in the fight with Nana but i worked my way through and really enjoyed this anime

_________________
avatar
Wampa
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 405
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 24
Location : Hoth
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by Doomguy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Wampa wrote:This was one of the only animes that i watched the entire opening for ever single time because i love the song lilium my hemophobia had a mini break down on the first episode and in the fight with Nana but i worked my way through and really enjoyed this anime

Trying to find extended versions of lilium on youtube was a pain but well worth the effort. Oddly enough the first episode was the most graphic, perhaps more graphic then the whole show combined. There was that one episode though, with the kids and young Lucy. You know with the pet....yeahhhh Shocked .

You would definitely have some kind of reaction after watching Elfen Lied
avatar
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 28
Location : High security asylum room in JD
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by MiniSiets on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:51 pm

I watched this back when I actually visited the JD chatroom years ago and everyone was hyping how fantastic it was so I decided to check it out to see what all the buzz was about. I think it's a pretty great series. It makes you sympathize with a character who would otherwise be considered evil by most characterizations. I really like this aspect to the story because it puts into perspective why people can be led to do bad things and "evil" is rarely so black and white.

However I found the English dub fairly weak. Not unbearable, but it was noticeably sub-par in a lot of instances. From what I hear the Japanese track wasn't impressive either, though I haven't seen it. This isn't enough to significantly detract from the experience though. It's an... I was going to say "entertaining" story but that just sounds wrong considering how grotesque it was. It's an intriguing story regardless. :p

_________________

MAL Profile | YouTube Channel | Blog
avatar
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 28
Location : Future Gadget Lab
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by Sir Maddy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:09 pm

Meh, it's mediocre.
ARMS wanted to keep people entertained so they added a lot of boobs and gore, because what man doesn't like that?
The plot was relatively weak, because of this.

_________________
[MAL/Anime-Planet]



avatar
Sir Maddy
Yuri Lover
Yuri Lover

Female Posts : 1017
Join date : 2013-01-17
Age : 19
Location : Australia
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by Natsuru-san on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:26 pm

@Natsu: Could it be because of the mutilation? ;)

Anyway I love this anime. I want moar and I only have one complant. The speacial ep. 10.5 contradicted with the story. Sure it answers certain things BUT! The way things happened such as how he first met Lucy and when is different from in the show. For example he looked younger then when he met her in the 10,5 ep. Because of this although I enjoyed it I felt as though they could have done better there but I still liked it well except that it's only sub right now. Thankfully the anime itself is dub (sub too of course) and I was barely even bothered by the gore. Only like once or twice and I was eating through most of the ep's. Yeah I'm a tough girl when it comes to horror and gore. >:)

_________________
Thank you Crazy for my sweet rank. :)
avatar
Natsuru-san
Saiya-Jin

Female Posts : 707
Join date : 2013-01-19
Location : Kampfer and JDR
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by JakDark on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:55 am

I just finished episode 5, and now I feel sad.
avatar
JakDark
Academy Student

Male Posts : 25
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 28
Location : California

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by Zwei on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:02 am

Sir Maddy wrote:Meh, it's mediocre.
ARMS wanted to keep people entertained so they added a lot of boobs and gore, because what man doesn't like that?
The plot was relatively weak, because of this.

I have to disagree with you there. I don't think the above had that big of an effect on the overall story though there was quite a lot of it.
avatar
Zwei
Academy Student

Male Posts : 20
Join date : 2013-01-24
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by MiniSiets on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 am

Sir Maddy wrote:Meh, it's mediocre.
ARMS wanted to keep people entertained so they added a lot of boobs and gore, because what man doesn't like that?
The plot was relatively weak, because of this.
Since when were lots of boobs a problem for Maddy? This is a surprising revelation for me.

Anyway I disagree. I felt like all the nudity and gore were done more for shock value rather than just to pander to any particular audience. This is evidenced by the fact that Lucy's boobs were actually realistically-proportioned and didn't excessively flap throughout all the scenes where they were exposed. Yes I was observing that carefully to notice; it was purely for analytical purposes I assure you. I am a scientist. :3

Although seriously I don't like fanservice just for fanservice's sake either, but I didn't get that impression from this series. Frankly I had much more of a problem with pandering of HOTD's nature than I did with this series.

_________________

MAL Profile | YouTube Channel | Blog
avatar
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 28
Location : Future Gadget Lab
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by Sir Maddy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:48 am

MiniSiets wrote:
Sir Maddy wrote:Meh, it's mediocre.
ARMS wanted to keep people entertained so they added a lot of boobs and gore, because what man doesn't like that?
The plot was relatively weak, because of this.
Since when were lots of boobs a problem for Maddy? This is a surprising revelation for me.

Anyway I disagree. I felt like all the nudity and gore were done more for shock value rather than just to pander to any particular audience. This is evidenced by the fact that Lucy's boobs were actually realistically-proportioned and didn't excessively flap throughout all the scenes where they were exposed. Yes I was observing that carefully to notice; it was purely for analytical purposes I assure you. I am a scientist. :3

Although seriously I don't like fanservice just for fanservice's sake either, but I didn't get that impression from this series. Frankly I had much more of a problem with pandering of HOTD's nature than I did with this series.

¬.¬

Come on, I never said that, I'm all for boobs and panties unless it'a distracts me from the story.

I never said there was no plot, I'm just saying that it was poorly handled.
Well, ARMS do make Hentai, and I was observing too, expecting some over the top H cups that have their own laws of physics.
And I was shocked, Lucy's boobs were normal sized..
But, if Mako is 14, why the fuck is she as flat as a cliff?
Couldn't she at least have B or C cups?

Oh come on, compared to other fanservice anime, HSOTD is child's play.
There is one Anime that just is the definition of borderline hentai.
Even when uncensored, it's still censored.

_________________
[MAL/Anime-Planet]



avatar
Sir Maddy
Yuri Lover
Yuri Lover

Female Posts : 1017
Join date : 2013-01-17
Age : 19
Location : Australia
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by Natsuru-san on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:47 pm

And what anime wuld that be Maddy? (Uncensored but it's still censored)

_________________
Thank you Crazy for my sweet rank. :)
avatar
Natsuru-san
Saiya-Jin

Female Posts : 707
Join date : 2013-01-19
Location : Kampfer and JDR
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by JakDark on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:33 pm

I don't think nudity detracts from a story, especially when part of the story is visual. In my opinion it's worse to childize a story to meet "appropriate" standards when the reality wouldn't be as forgivable.

Even if a story is fictional it has to be believable. If a girl of a new species who was treated as a weapon, got loose it would be strange if she just smacked people around in sweatshirts.

People are sexual in the everyday, so far I've seen nothing that's any more sexually eccentric then what happens in the real world and that's a good thing.

Gore can go one or two ways, but considering the standard held up to gore in recent years, this is little more then a woodshop accident.
avatar
JakDark
Academy Student

Male Posts : 25
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 28
Location : California

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by Doomguy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:10 pm

I won't lie, the blood and nudity did throw me off a little bit and had me weary of anyone looking in on me Suspect .
avatar
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 28
Location : High security asylum room in JD
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by Sir Maddy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Natsuru-san wrote:And what anime wuld that be Maddy? (Uncensored but it's still censored)

This one.

_________________
[MAL/Anime-Planet]



avatar
Sir Maddy
Yuri Lover
Yuri Lover

Female Posts : 1017
Join date : 2013-01-17
Age : 19
Location : Australia
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by BlurredExistence on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:32 pm

It's always been one of my top animes and a few months ago i struck up the spirit to read the manga to see how they compare and it was interesting to see how they mixed up the original story to get the anime to work, the end in particular is a mix of several different scenes that are scatters across at least 2 or 3 volumes of the manga, and very cleverly done to both finish off the anime as well as leave it sort of open for a possible sequel (which never came).

I tell you what tho, the manga is a lot more of an uncomfortable read than the anime was an uncomfortable watch.

_________________
"Live for today, but look forward to tomorrow, and don't forget to smile."



Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
The Greatest Anime Music Playlist!... or it will be someday.
avatar
BlurredExistence
Silver Saint

Male Posts : 309
Join date : 2013-03-04
Age : 34
Location : South-West England.

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by Sniper_b8 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:58 pm

I enjoyed Elfen Lied in particular due to the morbid story that I saw similar to the video game F.E.A.R. (PC). Both implemented themes of manipulation and experimentation [of a supernatural entity/humanoid].

I wrote a poem about this series back in high school:

Born with horns, I am all alone
Instant judgment, everyone sown
I have no friends, they only betray
And lie and deceive in every way
-
How could humans be so callous and so cruel?
I should have listened to her, I’m such a fool
Then maybe he would still be alive today
The only one with whom I would go and play
-
Spare that “friend”? No. I did kill them all
My instincts took over when I saw
Right before my eyes, they mercilessly killed him
So I used their blood to paint the walls with their sin
-
Humans lie. I can easily lie back.
They let me inside, and then I attack
With my vectors, deadly and unseen
I make it quick, my precision: keen
-
From door to door, from week to week
A new home, I am forced to seek
I would use up a place, and then I would leave
Behind me, corpses and blood – my mind at ease
-
Five fingers, five toes was all that it took
To get most people to think that you look…
Normal in this vindictive society
But I know that is impossible for me
-
The number of fingers and toes is not what they see
Because they look straight at what is sticking out of me
The two horns that have marked my gift; my bane
The torment that these cause drives me insane
-
Yet she tells me that my horns do not cause my agony
And the source of my torment and pain is humanity
She is right. They are truly the reason why.
"Follow your instincts. They are destined to die."

FYI, the "he" and "him" in the poem is
Spoiler:
Lucy's dog when she was in Primary school.

_________________

"May you not chase the events of time's past, nor vex over the future and what it may hold." - Fleda Claes Johansson
avatar
Sniper_b8
Academy Student

Male Posts : 29
Join date : 2013-03-08
Age : 26
Location : Southern California

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by MiniSiets on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Your poem is actually pretty legit. lol

Nice work.

_________________

MAL Profile | YouTube Channel | Blog
avatar
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 28
Location : Future Gadget Lab
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by Sniper_b8 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:00 pm

Thanks! Glad it was to your liking

_________________

"May you not chase the events of time's past, nor vex over the future and what it may hold." - Fleda Claes Johansson
avatar
Sniper_b8
Academy Student

Male Posts : 29
Join date : 2013-03-08
Age : 26
Location : Southern California

Back to top Go down

Re: Elfen Lied Discussion Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum