Angel Beats by bedheadred

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Angel Beats by bedheadred

Post by bedheadred on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:08 am

The story is told through Yuzuru Otonashi who wakes up with amnesia mid-battle in a high school setting. Yuri Nakamura, while lying on the ground with a sniper rifle, quickly tries to recruit him to their Battlefront organization. Otanashi learns through trial and error that he has entered a state of purgatory between life and the afterlife where the Battlefront members can't die. Their only enemy is "Angel" or Kanade Tachibana, the Class President. Angel's role in this purgatory is to make all the Battlefront members confirm to school rules. Episode 1 cleanly states all the rules and players of purgatory. Episode 2 quickly explains how a group of high schoolers have an arsenal of weapons. The rest of the anime chronicles the Battlefront's "assualts" on Angel and other dangers.

There are a gaggle of Battlefront members. Each character seems to have a regret in life that has kept them from entering the afterlife. If you are unfamiliar with the term purgatory, especially of the Catholic faith, it is somewhat like a waiting room before Heaven. Those not pure enough to enter Heaven and those not sinful enough to enter Hell, enter Purgatory. There they repent their sins and become purified for Heaven. The Battlefront members come to terms with their personal tragedies in this purgatory. For me, the most moving story was the aspiring musician who was left completely paralyzed by a head injury in life. This second chance at life in purgatory gave her a chance to express herself through music.

While the idea of purgatory and regrets may sound like the setting for a very solemn anime, Angel Beats! is full of comedy. From the character T.K. who never speaks but just sings appropriate song lyrics to the hacker who urges everyone to call him "Christ," there is more than enough comedic relief to keep the viewer entertained and the series light.

Central to the anime is the leader of the Battlefront. She assumed leadership as she was the first of the undead in purgatory to challenge Angel. Yuri uses physical and psychological tactics to try to defeat Angel. She is a strong leader who is well respected by her peers. As a leader, she is a carbon copy of Haruhi--from the authoritarian smirk to the hair ribbon. Fortunately, she becomes more unique toward the latter part of the anime when she deals with her personal demons.

Yuzuru Otanashi moves through the story, at first, as an indistinguished character. Without his memory, he is simply a team player. Slowly we see his ability to help people develop, which ironically has to do with his regret.

Angel appears to be a character void of emotion. The enforcer of rules and enemy of the Battlefront has very different intents than originally thought. Her moe voice and design help the viewer to not dislike the character.

Music plays an important part of Angel Beats! The Battlefront's diversionary tactics usually involve staging an unapproved concert. I appreciate that the band was an all girl's rock band instead of the stereotypical girl pop idols you encounter so often in anime. The concert scenes are beautifully choreographed with light effects that have an almost cinematic quality. The rest of the anime visual pales to the quality of the concert scenes.

The anime also has a beautiful opening sequence which starts with Angel playing the piano and moves into lyrics with piano accompaniment. To see the robotic Angel play such a passionate piece, hints to the personality you will see later in the anime. The closing piece is a solo vocal number that is sweet and simple, yet very moving. The song is guaranteed to make you weep after the last episode.

I watched both the sub and dub of this anime and prefer the dub, which is a huge compliment to the voice actors. Each captures the essence of the character without overacting. The comedic timing is as expertly executed as the emotionally charged scenes.

Angel Beats! is an anime that appeals to action enthusiasts, music aficionados and intellectuals alike. Whether you question your own purpose for living or just watch for the drama, I'm sure you'll enjoy this anime until the biter end...

"I know my way now." --Ayato Naoi
bedheadred
Adjuchas

Female Posts : 426
Cooking Club

Back to top Go down

Re: Angel Beats by bedheadred

Post by Lelouch Britannia on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:48 pm

I found that Angel Beats was a great anime. I really enjoyed it. There are a lot of stupoid moments that make it great! The music was good to and there is a lot of fighting. I really loved it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Ending was horse shit that is all I have to say

I think they COULD have somehow pulled off another season since the guy stayed there at the end.
I wish Angel didn't leave though...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironbutterfly on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:06 pm

great anime !!!

Ironbutterfly
Academy Student

Male Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by R34P3R on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:59 pm

I agree with AnalBag it was bullshit they should have made a second season. That is one of my all time favorites.

Male Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Maddy on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:58 am

It still annoys me how people compare Yurippe to Haruhi.
One is annoying, and the other is a complete badass.

Sir Maddy
Yuri Lover
Yuri Lover

Female Posts : 1017
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by R34P3R on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 am

I know right! Grrr people these days

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomoyo's Angel on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:48 am

Sir Maddy wrote:It still annoys me how people compare Yurippe to Haruhi.

..... the thing is i still think in some way they are similar (personality wise) yurippe is still amazing compared to haruhi though, but it cant be denied there are some similar traits between them.

Tomoyo's Angel
Shinsengumi

Male Posts : 250
The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Maddy on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Yui's angel wrote:
Sir Maddy wrote:It still annoys me how people compare Yurippe to Haruhi.

..... the thing is i still think in some way they are similar (personality wise) yurippe is still amazing compared to haruhi though, but it cant be denied there are some similar traits between them.

True, very true.

Sir Maddy
Yuri Lover
Yuri Lover

Female Posts : 1017
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayvon on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:06 pm

A second season would have been extremely pointless, every body is in the real world.

Male Posts : 197
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Blazer on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Jayvon wrote:A second season would have been extremely pointless,
Spoiler:
every body is in the real world.

I do see your point.

Spoiler:
They could have at least made some OVAs if they wanted to show a little bit of the "back to life", however I feel the ending was put nicely. They left what happened up to the viewer ^.^

BTW i would spoiler what you said.....I mean...it's the ending after all...

Blazer
Saiya-Jin

The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaysp656 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:32 am

I agree it would be nice if there was more but they left it at a good spot where continuing would just feel like they were just milking it for all its worth.

Custom Themes For Win7 & 8
MAL
Anime Music:

Current Anime Library - (includes Vocaloid under Hatsune Miku Folder)

Vocaloid Library

Jaysp656
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 301
The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper Tiger on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:18 am

Jaysp656 wrote:I agree it would be nice if there was more but they left it at a good spot where continuing would just feel like they were just milking it for all its worth.
+1 on this. What I thought would have been nice is a few more episodes towards the end of the story, it just seemed like things were rushed there, like "eek, we still have half the story to tell, but guys upstairs just cut us down to 13 episodes, and we already used up 10 of them". Which I read a rumor is exactly how it happened, not sure if there is any truth to that or not tho.
Paper Tiger
Bronze Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy on Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:44 pm

I recently finished this anime and I really enjoyed it. I wasn't really into the comedy aspects of it though but everything else more then made up for it.
I like how the title of the anime had a bit of a double meaning if you know what I mean. I thought the ending was great actually.

My favorite episode no doubt is when they explain the main guy's past. That one left a profound impact on me more so then almost all the episodes combined. That was great you can make an anime based on his whole life and I would watch that.

Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by R34P3R on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:45 pm

What was all your favorite characters? Mine was either TK or Matsushida the Fifth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaysp656 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Wow you sig is huge ^
Shocked

Custom Themes For Win7 & 8
MAL
Anime Music:

Current Anime Library - (includes Vocaloid under Hatsune Miku Folder)

Vocaloid Library

Jaysp656
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 301
The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by BlurredExistence on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:30 pm

I seem to recall last year that there was some vague announcement that many people are interpreting as the possibility that a second series is being made, which in all likelihood would be based upon the prequel manga cause, as people have mentioned earlier, due to certain events in the series you can't really pull off a sequel.

Guest wrote:Ending was horse shit that is all I have to say

I think they COULD have somehow pulled off another season since the guy stayed there at the end.
I wish Angel didn't leave though...

According to the canon ending, the epilogue after the credits of the final episode, Otonashi leaves the world as well.
Spoiler:
Hence the heavily implied meeting of them both in their next lives, and all thanks to Kanade humming Iwasawa's My Song, which i think is a very nice touch.

You might be thinking of Another Epilogue, which imo is possibly one the best 3 minutes OVAs ever, but that's not canon.

R34P3R wrote:I agree with AnalBag it was bullshit they should have made a second season. That is one of my all time favorites.

This anime is also one of my all time favourites. I've watched it multiple times never tired of it, i still laugh at all the jokes and slapstick and i still cry at all the tragic stories and partings. However i feel that the thing that makes Angel Beats! so fantastic is the fact that it's both a half-series and it finishes. They did everything they needed to do, there is no point in the series where it feels like what you're watching is just filler or that the plot's not moving along. It finished at the top, being the best it could be, we may yearn for more but that's the best way to feel about a series, rather than going away bored with it at the end cause there was too much.

Jaysp656 wrote:I agree it would be nice if there was more but they left it at a good spot where continuing would just feel like they were just milking it for all its worth.

Exactly.

R34P3R wrote:What was all your favorite characters? Mine was either TK or Matsushida the Fifth.

Otonashi, and to a slightly lesser extent Kanade.

Spoiler:
Otonashi, i've been there a lived the life he had lived before his sister's death, living just day to day with no real aim or point just existing for existence's sake. Before even discovering that about him i like his character for the sort of snarky observer he is to the rest of the group early on but upon discovering that i just felt truly connected to him and upon seeing him take his sister's death, use it to find purpose and turn his life around was completely inspirational to me!

As for Kanade i just love the silent, sort of emotionless, types so i was attracted to her straight away, to the point that i didn't even regard her as a villain at all during the early episodes even tho the series does try to make you think that way. After that scene with her trying to buy that Mabo Tofu ticket to cheer herself up, seeing a human side to her made my heart go out to her all the more, and finally discovering that she is in fact just a clumsy human girl who was trying her best to help everyone to move on from their past suffering that was it she became my favourite female character ever!

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
The Greatest Anime Music Playlist!... or it will be someday.
BlurredExistence
Silver Saint

Male Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top